Some homeade knives finished yesterday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very impressive you are truly a Artisan, that is a lost art. Would love to have one, I have to say I'm jealous of who ever is receiving them.

I get to make knives on the weekend only, I love doing it...most of the time...lol. I may average one a week two if I'm lucky. I will never catch up with all the requests for knives unless I just go into full time production, which I have no plans of doing. I am always willing to put one on the list if you do not mind the wait. There are several hours that go into these knives so they of course run a little more than what you get from Walmart or Bass Pro. You get a knife that is handled by hand from start to finish not one of thousands that run down a conveyor belt with not attention to detail. Just my thoughts.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several hours that go into these knives so they of course run a little more than what you get from Walmart or Bass Pro. You get a knife that is handled by hand from start to finish not one of thousands that run down a conveyor belt with not attention to detail. Just my thoughts.

^^^ This ^^^

My 0.02

Hand-made versus production:

Production:

Pros: Inexpensive compared to hand made knives.

Cons: The problem I've found with the box of production knives I own is that the blade steel is too hard. The average guy can't go out into the garage and with a stone and a little gun oil get his knife back into the game. If you break it...buy a new one. I know guys that will just buy another knife as soon as that one gets dull. That works for them.

Hand made:

Pros:

The knife maker has control over the hardness of the blade as he/she is doing the heat treatment themselves. If your knife gets dropped during normal use, the knife maker will fix it for free. If it needs sharpening, the knife maker will put an edge back on it for free. Bottom line: that knife is covered for life.

You get to build a relationship with a knife maker over time. Also, you don't just but a knife, you "buy" the maker. Is he a good guy? Does he contribute to the community in some way? Does he back up his product?

Cons:

More expensive than production knives. You're paying for a guys time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom