Someone help me out with this Mizzu thing....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generation Delicate Snowflakes.

Umm... Umm... Umm...

Keely obviously doesn't understand what a public university is. More specifically, what it isn't. A public university is a self-sustaining revenue generator. It exists to sustain itself. It does so by diversifying revenue streams. A list of their revenue streams would look something like this:

• Trademarked Merchandise Branding
• Athletic Broadcast Contracts
• Student Tuition
• Endowments
• Government Contracts
• Partnership Contracts
• Federal Grants
• Product Endorsements
• Etc., etc., etc…

What the Mizzou football team has figured out is that they and all the rest of the students can protest and complain till the cows come home, but that means absolutely nothing. Why? Because students don’t pay the lion’s share of tuition to the universities. Parents and student loan providers write those checks. It’s then left up to the loan providers and parents to collect on those debts racked up by the students. By and large, students pay very little actual money to universities and they know it.

No, they targeted the university’s sacred cash cow, athletic contract revenue, which in turn directly trickles down to trademark merchandise branding and product endorsements. They got what they wanted in less than 48 hours.

Universities are ostensibly there to provide education and marketable degrees, but that hasn’t stop them from diversifying their portfolios. That isn’t the driving force anymore. Keely doesn’t understand that economic reality. She probably skipped Econ 101. Always follow the money. Money is king in America.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keely just received some painful education. I hope it sinks in. If the classroom is the only place where you learn, you are in serious danger of believing in almost anything, simply because it sounds good.

You might even get swept up in something quite bad.

melissa_click_mao_ivy_wall_11-12-15-2.jpg

bwcaq

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
An issue that gets at me with all of this is the "I'm entitled to not be offended" mentality. I see plenty of opinions here; some I agree with and others I don't. Sometimes my mind is changed and sometimes it isn't. Other times I don't have a well thought out opinion on something, and it's all part of the process of giving considered and critical thought to an idea.

CNN actually posted a reasoned opinion piece that I wouldn't have expected from them.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/13/opinions/castellanos-mizzou-yale-students/index.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom