SOPMOD vs iMOD stocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that have both, which do you like better?

I personally own / have owned:
M4
CAR
Magpul MOE
Magpul CTR
Magpul UBR
SOPMOD

But I haven't had any VLTOR stocks yet. How do they compare to a SOPMOD?

From what I have, I feel like the CTR is the best; the UBR is nice as well if you're trying to counter-balance a front-heavy rifle, but it does the same thing as a CTR besides the extra weight and the storage compartment. You can put weights on a CTR to do the same thing if you really wanted. As for the MOE, I feel it's not worth paying the price over a standard M4 stock for almost no gain, and to get a sling QD swivel attachment, you end up paying almost as much as a CTR in the first place and you still lack the friction lock.

(By the way, I have a coupon code for both a magpul PRS and magpul UBR stock if anyone is interested via PM)

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The VLTOR EMod is supposed to reduce recoil by having a longer buffer tube. It's all the rage.

Watch this video, the rifle appears to recoil like a .22 with the EMOD, middy gas system, and compensator.

I'd consider buying one if they weren't so expensive.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The VLTOR EMod is supposed to reduce recoil by having a longer buffer tube. It's all the rage.

Watch this video, the rifle appears to recoil like a .22 with the EMOD, middy gas system, and compensator.

I'd consider buying one if they weren't so expensive.

That is the VLTOR A5 system, not the EMOD. The EMOD can be used with any standard carbine recoil system.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my E-Mod. I-Mod is nice if you want it a little lighter. The newest version of the SOPMOD with the QD sockets is a great stock, but not $200 great. Magpul ACS is another option in that style. I like my CTR on my little 9mm but it isn't really in competition with the mod stocks.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you trying to say that comps reduce recoil?? That's not how they work is it?

Comps reduce muzzle rise by redirecting gas up and to the sides. Since that gas is no longer moving in the same direction as the bullet, there is technically less recoil. But that will most likely be negligible compared to the muzzle rise reduction.

Brakes redirect gas more than 90 degrees, angling it back rather than perpendicular to the barrel. They're actually intended to reduce recoil.

And buffers and tubes don't actually reduce recoil at all, but they do draw it out over a longer period, making it feel "softer" and more like a push than a sharp strike to your shoulder. The only way to reduce recoil is to add mass to the weapon and use a muzzle brake if you keep ammo constant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom