Spike's AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Silencers generate a lot of back pressure. Actually that's how they work, but the back pressure both blows even more junk back into the gun and dries the bolt even faster. Fire a few rounds through your rifle with the suppressor attached then remove the magazine and look at the rounds remaining in the magazine. They will be covered in soot. The ejected brass is nasty, and after a few magazines, my trigger finger will have a line of soot from the hole in the lower where the trigger protrudes. I run my AR BCGs dripping wet in CLP, and four or so magazines of suppressed fire later will leave them dry and nasty.

In addition to the fouling and lubrication issues, the back pressure generated by the silencer can be detrimental to the rifle. The bolt will cycle much faster with the silencer attached, and in full auto, the cyclic rate increases significantly. Piston systems vent off excess gas early in the system and theoretically reduce wear and tear on the bolt.

For what it's worth, I don't own a piston driven AR, and while I really have no burning desire to own one, I can understand the merits of a piston on short barreled suppressed ARs. My 10 inch suppressed DI ARs run just fine, but they are just toys.

Rob

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would running a suppressor have anything to do with it be a DI or piston gun?

And like others have said i'd just get a DI gun personally. Its a tried and true system and as long as you keep her clean and lubed it'll run.

See Rob's post above.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea i saw that, makes sense i never did think about the added backpressure with the addition of a can. also found some more good info on Maj. Malfunctions website as well.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't happy with how Spike's handled an order (billed my CC when ordered, promised a delivery time 6 weeks out that jumped to over 12 weeks when I called them 7 weeks later) so I cancelled my order and got a refund.

Shortly thereafter, they gouged the prices post election really quick. I'll never have one of their products.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't happy with how Spike's handled an order (billed my CC when ordered, promised a delivery time 6 weeks out that jumped to over 12 weeks when I called them 7 weeks later) so I cancelled my order and got a refund.

Shortly thereafter, they gouged the prices post election really quick. I'll never have one of their products.

That's pretty messed up man - I'd be pretty pissed too.

I hated them for gouging, but I've started thinking lately that having fewer gun stores/manufacturers is a bad thing and Spikes appears to have learned somewhat of a lesson. I had more than one local shop (including more than one sponsor) price-hike on me and I vowed that I'd never go back in there, but I've recently started picturing the world without any of those gun stores as options if they calmed down and learned their lessons and I'd rather have more gun stores than less even if I have to swallow my pride and go give them a second chance even if they attempted to screw me.

I'm not saying everyone else should do the same, but I've taken a look at a world without several of the stores/manufacturers that gouged and were good businesses before (and again now that they have calmed down) and its not as cool as I originally thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom