Spike's AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm in the market to buy a AR, thought about building one, but that will have to wait for now, but I ran across this the other day

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3129_3963660562_a50583d59e_o.png

Spike's Tactical ST-15 Complete rifle package w/AA Piston Conversion.
Was $1,495.00 Now $1,099.00 Saving 26% off

So what does everyone think about spikes?

Any sponsors on OSA have a FFL on file with spikes?

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=323

Upper Specs-

-Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, our logo and M4 feed ramps.

-Barrel is Stainless Steel, M4 profile, M4 barrel extention, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:8 Twist, Melonite finish inside and out.

-Adam's Arms LE M16 Bolt carrier with intergrated carrier key (Carrier and Key are 1pc.). Carrier has Melonite finish inside and out with our logo.

-Adam's Arms clamp on railed gas block w/ Melonite finish.

-Spring loaded MP tested bolt w/ Viton O-ring on the extractor and Mil-Spec black extractor insert.

-Forged Mil-Spec charging handle.

-M4 hand guards and hand guard cap modified for AA Piston system.

-A2 Flash Hider.

Lower Specs-

-Spike's Tactical Lower, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish.

-Mil-Spec lower parts kit. (Works with 22LR, 9MM, 223/5.56, and Many More.)

-6 Position Mil-Spec buffer tube, castle nut and Properly staked latch plate.

-ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy buffer.

-Mil-Spec 17-4 stainless steel buffer spring.

-Spike's Tactical M4 stock.

Accessories-

-Magpul 30rd Pmag

**All of our products carry a LIFETIME Warranty**

If you would kindly put the name of your FFL in your Comment box when you check out and then have your FFL fax us their info to: 866-283-2215 and put YOUR NAME on the fax we can match up the fax with your order and ship you out as soon as possible. Thanks! If we don't know who your FFL is in the Comment box when you checkout it will DELAY your shipment by quite some time.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that their logo looks like to penises (peni?), they were one of the first companies among the gun world to gouge prices like crazy (soemone else can jump in here, but I believe it was from either $125 or $135 to like $185 for a stripped lower).

Having said that, I own two builds using Spikes' parts - I like them, but I bought both of mine used so as not to contribute to a company that would turn on its own customers like that.

I honestly have mixed feelings about them - I've started shopping with some of the local shops that gouged during the election scare, but I still don't feel right about it.

You decide for yourself - but know that there are plenty of other quality manufacturers out there who didn't gouge.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that their logo looks like to penises (peni?), they were one of the first companies among the gun world to gouge prices like crazy (soemone else can jump in here, but I believe it was from either $125 or $135 to like $185 for a stripped lower).

Having said that, I own two builds using Spikes' parts - I like them, but I bought both of mine used so as not to contribute to a company that would turn on its own customers like that.

I honestly have mixed feelings about them - I've started shopping with some of the local shops that gouged during the election scare, but I still don't feel right about it.

You decide for yourself - but know that there are plenty of other quality manufacturers out there who didn't gouge.

Yeah, I read about that when I searched to see if anyone else had asked about them.

I don't care for the fact they did that, like I have heard about people selling 380 ammo at the gun sells for like $60-80 a box

But how are they for quality, that seems like a steal for a gas-piston rifle.

Oh, what are some other good makers? I really like the black rain ordance upper and lowers, but they are a little costly for me right now

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're pretty good quality (I only have an upper and two lowers made by Spikes).

I've heard good things about their quality - I'll say this though. If you're just into gas-piston rifles, then by all means get one. If you want one because someone told you that you needed one over the Gas Inpengement system of the standard AR-15, don't waste your money.

- Andy

Yeah, I read about that when I searched to see if anyone else had asked about them.

Oh, what are some other good makers? I really like the black rain ordance upper and lowers, but they are a little costly for me right now

I don't care for the fact they did that, like I have heard about people selling 380 ammo at the gun sells for like $60-80 a box

But how are they for quality, that seems like a steal for a gas-piston rifle

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want one because someone told you that you needed one over the Gas Inpengement system of the standard AR-15, don't waste your money.

- Andy

Well I have heard that the gas piston system is better than gas inpengemnet, so that was some of my thinking, I have heard they are more reliable like a mini 14 or m1a, Not True?

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gas piston AR's do have advantages, but for just recreation shooting, they aren't worth the extra effort or money in most cases, IMO.

Some of the advantages are that they don't heat the bolt as much, make it more reliable and less dependent on cleanliness. Another one of these that CAN be important is in inclement conditions: getting the gas tube full of water or really anything will almost certainly cause it to rupture or explode when fired. The gas piston system eliminates this. But really, unless you're a navy seal, I doubt you'd need that.

The M-14/ M1A are also direct impingement. It just occurs in a different place in the gun.

I'd personally do a standard 'ole AR and use the money you saved to get accessories for it. Unless you plan on repeatedly tripping and face planting into the sand and dirt with your bolt cover open, direct impingement will serve you just fine. :buttkick: :rollingla (Just givin ya a hard time)

I ordered a complete lower from Spike's last thursday with my FFL dealer faxed in not more than an hour later and they STILL haven't shipped it. I'm beginning to get annoyed, personally.

dwalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a non-FFL dealer for Spike's and am quite pleased with their quality and customer service. Another consideration regarding the piston is the majority of the piston rods are not removable and there is no valve to eliminate the gas flow to the piston. This is a consideration should you ever wish to add a .22LR Conversion to reduce your shooting/practice costs. I'm not saying you can't do this, just that it's something to look into. Spike's customer service is very good too. They are now in the process of going from a paper based system to computerized system and they have had some glitches. But, they do make it right.

Spike's got backed up on their lowers because of their Special for $89.95. Took quite awhile to get mine but I saw on the website their color inlay group was backed up.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stag will be shipping their new piston rifle in a few weeks. I would pick it any day over the spikes. They should be close in price. Unless you are running a can I see no need for piston uppers.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are running a can I see no need for piston uppers.
What would running a suppressor have anything to do with it be a DI or piston gun?

And like others have said i'd just get a DI gun personally. Its a tried and true system and as long as you keep her clean and lubed it'll run.

Latest posts

Top Bottom