Spoonbill Questions:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter64

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few guys at church and myself are wanting to try the spoonbills at Kaw or somewhere, not looking for someones secret spot just some ideas where to go.
Some want to snag, some bowfish, me whatever it takes!
Can anyone offer any pointers, we wold be coming from Purcell, so it would probabily have to be a saturday.
Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Thanks
Kris

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right below the dam at Kaw. You will have to read the regs but you can not get too close to the dam by law. I am thinking you can snag about where the boat ramp is? There will probably be others doing it and you will see where they are. I have never heard of anyone bowfishing for them. Maybe you could but I don't think they lounge in shallow water like a carp or gar. Big wieghts and big treble hooks on big surf rods. Throw far...yank...reel....yank...reel....repeat. Good luck and take some pics for us.

Causality

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may already be aware of this, but the regulations have been changed this year. Miami is always popular during the spoonbill run on the Neosho river, so they had the changes posted in the paper this past week. This is just a suggestion. Good luck with your fishing!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right below the dam at Kaw. You will have to read the regs but you can not get too close to the dam by law. I am thinking you can snag about where the boat ramp is? There will probably be others doing it and you will see where they are. I have never heard of anyone bowfishing for them. Maybe you could but I don't think they lounge in shallow water like a carp or gar. Big wieghts and big treble hooks on big surf rods. Throw far...yank...reel....yank...reel....repeat. Good luck and take some pics for us.

1000Ft below the dam before you can snag them. The boat ramp is legal by several hundred feet. The 1K sign is small, pay attention. Snagging is on now. I know of lots being taken, and most released on the Salt Fork. Below Kaw, If you have never snagged one.... its like trying to pull up a phone pole by the roots for about 15-30 minutes by yourself.
Its a great workout. Flatheads are also legal for snagging, and as the ones before me have posted, new rules are in effect, and TRUST ME, the guy standing next to you could very possible be a GW. They take the spoonbill fishing seriously, as they should. It takes many years for one to reach maturity, and they are just trying to save the fishery for the ones like you and I that remain legal. Our kids can experience the same as we do. :D

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be CAREFUL and obey the regulations. Spoonbill caviar poaching is very lucrative.

I like to go down to the Low Water Dam below Kerr Dam (Lake Hudson) during the spring runs to watch the people snag. I can only describe it as a "Red Neck Circus"... It is wonderful entertainment.

On a big weekend there are 50-60 people lining the bank with giant surf rods throwing pear sized lead weights with giant treble hooks into the river...Then there are usually 10-15 boats all jockeying for position in the swift water and all throwing giant weights and hooks...

If you happen to bump into some Russian or Eastern European gentlemen taking multiple fish or only gutting the fish for caviar and burning the bodies...if you are not LEO, GO THE OTHER WAY! These fellows are committing a crime and the vibe I've gotten from them is that they mean business and are most likely armed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom