Springfield champion ss problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update:

I went into H and H today and spoke to them about the problems feeding the Springfield the factory magazine has. I attempted to buy two Wilson 47D's in 7 round and the only Wilson's they had were the 10 rounders and that would have been too large for carry in my gun though nice when at the range so I decided not to buy the wilson 10 rounder due to the size.

I wish I could remember the person's name I spoke to at H and H because they did an excellent job helping me. The clerk recommended two Metalform Cobramag Elite in 8 round capacity with a rounded followers and he allowed me to test the hollow points in them before purchasing. They worked great. In fact the action was smoother in the slide and feeding than in the factory magazine not to mention that they actually fed the hollow points. The Magazines came with a nice nylon mag pouch that you can wear on your belt in the upward or sideways position. the Pouches also allow for attachment to a Mollie Tactical Vest.

I took the gun out and because of the weather only got to shoot a box of 50 FMJ and 8 JHP through the gun. in the 58 shots I did not experience any fail to feed's, fail to fire, or fail to eject malfunctions.

The gun handles fantastically, it's recoil is minimal. In fact I would say that the felt recoil is less than what I experience in my Glock 31 chambered in .357 sig and even some 9mm I have shot in a polymer frame guns. The gun came back onto target very fast and made for good follow up shots when shotting semi rapid fire.

The sights were good and gave a decent sight picture. I was able to achieve 1.50 5 shot groupings at 20 yards with the gun shooting two handed slow and deliberate. Though the gun did seem to be shooting a slight bit high of center about one inch.

I think I will get a good smith to do a reliability package done to the gun as this will end up being my primary off duty carry gun. I did notice that even with the new magazines that hollow points were not smooth to chamber and upon close examination of the gun I think the feed ramp and feed throat need some polishing and tweaking.

I was unhappy but I am getting happier. I still plan on speaking with Springfield and letting them know how unhappy I am with the quality of their magazines out of the box though I have a feeling that it will not get me anywhere.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what a reliability package to a 1911 consists of and what the going price for one would be?

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update:

I did notice that even with the new magazines that hollow points were not smooth to chamber and upon close examination of the gun I think the feed ramp and feed throat need some polishing and tweaking.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what a reliability package to a 1911 consists of and what the going price for one would be?

Glad you are sticking with it you will love the gun when you get it tweaked.

Most smiths (I'll let them speak for themselves) will tell you to get a good set of magazines. Most of them will recommend Wilson but there are some others. Next they will adjust the extractor and maybe replace the recoil spring. I can't remember if you said you bought the gun new or not but a new Wolf spring at your gunsmiths recommendation will also improve performance.

It won't be very expensive. DO IT!

BC

PS: I don't know if anyone else said it but you have to keep this gun really wet (oiled)

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocktogo:
Thanks for the votes of confidence! I'm sure Olyeller appreciates it as much as I do...:)
BJG

As for the Springer, you guys are kind dancing around what the problem may or may not be. All 1911s should run with any good factory magazine. If the mag catch is "low" the factory magazine maybe sitting too low in the gun for smooth feeding. The barrel may or may not be in the proper place in the slide. If it is sitting up too far into the upper lugs it is the same effect as the magazine catch being too low. And if the the magazine catch is too low and the barrel is too high you have 2x the problem plus maybe the extractor binding on the cartridge rim as the cartridge comes up...everything is connected in function in a 1911.
From what was said earlier you used a Metalform Elite magazine and the problem went away...the Metalform Elite copies Tripp Research and the mag catch slot is cut lower on the mag then say an original Wilson 47D which raises the magazine in the gun giving the cartridge a straighter shot at the chamber. In the past some of the after market companies would raise the shelf on the magazine catch .045" to accomplish the same thing to correct factory variations before the aftermarket companies started modifying their magazines. So now you could raise the mag catch .045" and if you were not familiar with the magazine you were using raise the mag another .045" to equal .090"...Of course your loaded mag might then hit the ejector and after slamming it "home" a bunch of times there goes your extended ejector with a broken nose or it gets bent to one side and jams the magazine and the mag doesn't drop properly. So ...how far do you want to take these scenarios into 1911 insanity...lol.
Swap a mag catch from another 1911 or a new one (e.g. Ed Brown) and if the factory mag is in the same place it isn't the magazine catch. The have a 1911 'smith or someone familiar with 1911 specs measure where the barrel is in relation to the upper lugs. If it is too high that is the problem ...if not then it is frame or barrel throat angle or barrel throat "break over angle" or chamber size is not in "spec"....or it could be a combination of all of the above!:screwy:
Anyway, all I'm saying is it isn't always as easy as it looks....

Have fun ... Barry

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyway, all I'm saying is it isn't always as easy as it looks....

Have fun ... Barry

HaHa, glad you finally chimed in on this.

To the OP, you could definatley benefit from having someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it. Like Barry said, just because the HPs load now doesn't mean there isn't still a problem. You'd be surprised in the diference of what you might think is a correctly functiong 1911 & a truly correct functioning 1911. I have to admit I was "educated" on the difference by Barry, he's an artist.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the mags fully seated? Is there play in them when they are seated?

Understand too, hand functioning and mechanical functioning are two different things.

Also, it doesn't hurt to try some standard WWB round nose.

Try some quality mags too... I use Nighthawk, ACT or Novak (I think they're all made by ACT though) mags.

xrd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spoke with, face to face, Springfield armorers about my brand new EMP and a 5 inch 9mm 1911 failling to feed. The rounds were slaming into the bottom of the feed ramp and not going up the ramp to the chamber. I was shooting Percision Delta jacketed hollow point 115 gr 9mm. The bullet shape is like the end of a crayon. The armorer said that he had gotten lots of complaints but the comonality was ammo. The jacketed hollow points that had that shape and flat faced ball rounds. The fix was to redress, change the angle of the feed ramp, to accomodate the shape of Pres. Delta rounds or... find a different bullet that works. I am still looking for a ball round that has the accuracy I'm looking for. I didn't want to take off metal, kinda hard to put back, lol. The feeding problem isn't seen often with ball rounds.

2 cents.
x

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get yourself a box of hardball ammo, lube the gun up, insert a reliable magazine and shoot it. The fact that it did it with both magazines is a clue. I agree with Olyeller. Springfield armory builds gun they buy their magazines from someone else. Its just like when I bought my expensive Harley Davidson motorcycle. I complained to the dealer about how uncomfortable the seat was, the told me they build motorcycles not seats. The same thing applies to guns. There are a ton of magazines out there that work, Wilson, Tripp etc. Before you blame the gun, try a different magazine. Borrow a quality magazine from a friend or someone at the range and see if the problem clears you might be surprized. It is not always the gun.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a Springfield 4" Stainless 1911 a few months ago and it has been flawless through about 200 rds with a few mags of HP's. All with the Springfield mags. I almost expected growing pains but to my surprise, so far so good.
Funny thing is Wilson 47D's would not insert smoothly, you really had to bang them in. The Wilson ETM's slide right in. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom