Springfield's new bolt gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only thing that doesn’t appeal to me is the fluted bolt. An unnecessary added manufacturing complexity. Also I don’t get the carbon fiber wrapped barrel purpose. A round bolt and plain round, blued barrel seems easier to clean, oil, wipe down quickly. Love all the other features, flush sling mounts, (left side slings are superior to me), adjustable cheek rest stock, full pistol grip is most comfortable to me. Don’t know how I could choose between .308 Win or 6.5 Creedmore caliber. Will the price be south of $2000.?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only thing that doesn’t appeal to me is the fluted bolt. An unnecessary added manufacturing complexity. Also I don’t get the carbon fiber wrapped barrel purpose. A round bolt and plain round, blued barrel seems easier to clean, oil, wipe down quickly. Love all the other features, flush sling mounts, (left side slings are superior to me), adjustable cheek rest stock, full pistol grip is most comfortable to me. Don’t know how I could choose between .308 Win or 6.5 Creedmore caliber. Will the price be south of $2000.?

I guess that’s why we each have our opinions. Fluted bolt? Looks cool, stronger and more surface area to dissipate heat. Carbon fiber barrel? Yes, added strength and reduced weight.
I think that rifle looks darn good. Probably too nice and too much $ for me to own, but I think it looks sharp.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
SA is way late to this game. I haven't see anything from SA that has impressed me. They just copy whats out there and their imitations usually aren't that flattering. A once proud name is used as branding on overpriced guns made in other countries. I am wondering who is manufacturing these since they say made in the usa. For the coin they are asking there are already lots of tried and true options out there.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
SA is way late to this game. I haven't see anything from SA that has impressed me. They just copy whats out there and their imitations usually aren't that flattering. A once proud name is used as branding on overpriced guns made in other countries. I am wondering who is manufacturing these since they say made in the usa. For the coin they are asking there are already lots of tried and true options out there.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/for-those-that-may-not-know.298295/

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter if they are late to the game or not. If it shoots, the action is easy/smooth, and the trigger is light/crisp it will draw a crowd. Especially if companies make a chassis system for it.

Pluses for it are the rail, trigger, stock, pillars, flush cups, cheek riser, DBM, and threaded bolt knob. A fluted bolt may save a tad bit of weight but is mainly window dressing for the cool kids and a carbon fiber barrel isn’t worth crap if it doesn’t shoot. They should have just threaded the muzzle w/a thread protector (I can’t stand those type muzzle breaks). They didn’t say much about the important part of the barrel (button/hammered rifling?) 5R, stainless/CM?

Springfields customer service will play a big part in the success/failure of this rifle. If it doesn’t shoot 3/4moa out of the box with match ammo and Springfield doesn’t make it right or is slow in making it right, the gun forums will eat them alive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom