Stand Your Ground Study Results - Higher Homicide Rates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was there any mention of statistics for stand your ground/castle doctrine where the BG was shot but not killed, arrested and put in prison?
I think there is way more of that than actually killing them.
Doubt they want to touch that as it would screw their findings and show SYG/CD as a good thing.

F

fredkrueger

I have read contradicting studies that say that states that have more concealed carry permit or open carry permit holders have lower homicide rates compared to states that don't. l bet that the people that did this so-called study are anti-gun. I don't believe a work of it. Since 1990 homicide rates have dropped significantly in states that have these kind of laws. I got that from the FBI. So I guess they don't know what they are doing. And they deal with this kind of thing alot more than some idiots at a college.

F

fredkrueger

I also just read that the FBI just released a new statistic for violent crimes. It says that from 2010-2011 murders dropped 1.9%. That would end up being about 2.5-3% per capita. The nations murder rate has been cut by about 53% and the total violent crimes have been cut by 49% since 1991. The murder rate is at a 48 year low and the violent crime is at about a 41 year low. It just makes no sense to me that murder rates have risen in states with stand your ground laws because the FBI factors in all states. I doubt very seriously that these people are giving accurate facts. But it doesn't sway me either way. I just don't believe it. They are just trying to hurt our rights. Everything that I have read says that crimes have dropped in states with these kind of laws. They make it sound like we are running around shooting everybody that we see.

T

TScott27

Although according to the study, the rate of homicide went up, it still can't deny the fact that more people were protected because of it. It is either criminals pay the price or they run scoot free. This can help deter the propensity of criminals to burglarize innocent families, hence, the law itself becomes a factor in deterring crimes and helps in protecting citizens.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So they used the FBI definition of justifiable homicide instead of the State definition...while evaluating State laws and their impact?

Thats the problem with most studies...when the 'researchers' make up their own definitions or twist the application of those definitions to the model, they can make stuff look however they want.

And this little snippet from the O/P's posted text gives us a pretty good idea on what they want this "study" to show.

The authors predict that their findings will have significant policy implications. They conclude their report by stating that "an informed debate over these laws will weigh the increased protection offered to law-abiding citizens against the increase in homicide that results from the laws."

Nope...No agenda here. So now we have to statistically justify our rights? :faint:
What ever happened to plain old right and wrong?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this little snippet from the O/P's posted text gives us a pretty good idea on what they want this "study" to show.

Nope...No agenda here. So now we have to statistically justify our rights? :faint:
What ever happened to plain old right and wrong?
First ...Great now were paying for another...Study!
Some one gathering Facts...and coming up with ..their conclusion!
Its been done for years ,people with ..Bad intentions..( or a whole lot of $$$$) using the system to their advantage.
The agenda of the fact finding ..group is what need to be questioned?
Is it a control issue ...or just someones agenda ...for something?...Just the facts M'am

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Increased homicides is good as long as the right individuals are becoming deceased.
If we go with the theory that 2-3% of the population causes most major crimes, then applying justifiable homicide to a few of these should cause a large drop in crime.
That has happened. Crime has been going down every year.
I would ignore this study since it seems to be obviously slanted towards anti-stand your ground folks, perhaps to give them propaganda ammunition to make a federal case to repeal these laws at a federal level. Fortunately stand-your ground is a state level decision and common sense has not deserted all the states as of yet.
You can torture the data to make it speak anyway you wish, but common sense tells me I have the right to stand my ground if attacked by a predator.
:)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we go with the theory that 2-3% of the population causes most major crimes, then applying justifiable homicide to a few of these should cause a large drop in crime.
That has happened. Crime has been going down every year.
I would ignore this study since it seems to be obviously slanted towards anti-stand your ground folks, perhaps to give them propaganda ammunition to make a federal case to repeal these laws at a federal level. Fortunately stand-your ground is a state level decision and common sense has not deserted all the states as of yet.
You can torture the data to make it speak anyway you wish, but common sense tells me I have the right to stand my ground if attacked by a predator.
:)

Except that with Due Process incorporation, the case could be made that SYG/CD does not conform to the "spirit" of the Second Amendment, or that it does not further a "legitimate state interest" because only the alleged victim can make their case in the justice system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom