Starter competition/ Deer Riffle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmounce

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a starter competition/ deer riffle. I have no experience with riffles. I only take about 2 or 3 hunting trips a year all guided. I would like your honest advice good bad or ugly on the 2 choices I will list. If you experts know of something better for the price please suggest it.

I always borrow a riffle from a friend but am tired of doing that. If I pick up a new riffle I will be practicing a lot.

I really would like to try to get into some friendly competitive riffle shooting if I can shoot good enough.

Choice number 1

1. Remington 700 Heavy Barreled Action, 26" barrel length
2. .308 (1:12"), .243 (1:9.125"), .22-250(1:14"), .223(1:12")
3. Bell & Carlson Light Tactical Medalist Synthetic Stock (Mk1), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel
4. Bell & Carlson Vertical Grip Tactical Stock (Mk2), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel (No charge option)
5. Legacy International 1 Piece Picatinny Rail (EGW) - 20 MOA
6. Burris XTR Tactical Rings
7. Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm Tactical Scope with mildot reticle
8. Harris Bipod, solid mount, 9-13" or Versa-pod 9-13"
9. Plano double rifle hard gun case
10. Everything assembled and rifle zeroed at 100 yards

Choice nuber 2

1. Howa 1500 Heavy Barreled Action, 24" barrel length
2. .308 (1:12"), .243 (1:10"), .22-250(1:14"), .223(1:12")
3. Bell & Carlson Tactical/Varmint Medalist Synthetic Stock (Mk1), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel
4. New B&C Vertical Grip Tactical Stock (Mk2), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel (No charge option)
5. Legacy International 1 Piece Picatinny Rail (EGW) - 20 MOA
6. Burris XTR Tactical Rings
7. Bushnell 3200 10x Tactical Scope with mildots
8. Harris Bipod, solid mount, 9-13" or Versa-pod 9-13"
9. Plastic double rifle hard gun case

Both riffles are between 1000 and 1200 dollars choice number 1 is the more expensive.

Please give me your choice of the oppitions are suggest information on something as good for about the same cost.

I do know 2 friends that have choice number 2 and are thrilled with the quality.

Thanks Gary

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the only walking you are going to be doing is to your stand these rifles would probably work, if you are going to do any walking you will quickly grow tired of lugging a big heavy rifle around.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm..in that case I would go with something like a Remington Sendero in 300 Win Mag. The Stock is already good to go. A Larue, EGW, or Farrel base holding a Leupold VXIII or Mk4 LRT.

Then again, I am not a long range guy by any means.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not knowing the requirements of your competition makes it hard to say, either gun would kill a deer fine but of course be awkard to handle in the field.
Of the two choices I would probably pick the Rem over the Howa but I had a Weatherby Vanguard which is the same thing as a Howa and it was an outstanding gun.

I would be tempted to buy a cheap "beater" deer rifle and keep the finely tuned competition rifle at the range.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
at that price-range, I'd look to get more than just a factory action/barrel. You could get a used custom-built rifle (with an aftermarket barrel or at least a trued/blueprinted action) at several places for a few hundred more (equivalent lower-end quality optics included), or for a few hundred less, you could get a rifle/base and no scope.