Starting out loading shot shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I have been loading rifle and pistol for roughly 10 years now. So with a free single stage shot shell press from the classifieds I decided to open a whole new can of worms.

What I got:
-Vintage mec 20g loader with a resizer (sizer coming via eBay)
- Lyman's current shot shell manual
-Scales balance and digital
-Press owners manual available online
-A very basic understanding of the process

What I need:
-Some hulls gotta shoot up a box of AAs I have around
-Shot I was thinking some #6 will suffice for most my use for now
-Primers
-Wads was thinking waa20 or the clay buster copy??? Seems be one most common in my book
-Powders was thinking about some long shot and or unique since could use in pistol also

Is there a place around okc that wads and shot be found reasonable? Gene seres murfs in Duncan h&h or??

Any tricks tips or suggestions for me or component recommendations?

What ranges you pattern loads at? I'm looking more for game loads than target loads.

Any thing I'm missing?

Sent via message in a bottle

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gene Sears us the shotgun sports capital of Oklahoma. Most shot gunners will tell you that reloading basic trap, skeet and small game loads is not cost effective. If you reload steel or buckshot you will see some savings.

If you still choose to reload, clay buster wads are great generic AA. Hulls that work well. Winchester AA, Remington STS, Federal Gold Medal. (There are a few more.) I used 700x powder exclusively for 12 gauge trap loads.

It is no longer cost effective for me to reload trap loads. Every year Winchester does a rebate offer on Winchester AA and I stock up several cases at that time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless I'm loading for premium shells like pheasant loads or turkey loads, I agree, you don't save much, but its good to have some components around in case you can't get to town, or there is a run on them like .22.

Go online to some of the powder manufacturers. They will list specific loads for specific hulls as well as the approximate velocity the reloader can expect using that combination.
Not all hulls are the same, and the powder/wad/shot has to be the correct height or your final crimp won't work. There are no universal wads.
Old AA hulls, take a different combination than the newer AA hulls, as they have made some design changes.

You can use reclaimed lead shot to save money. Its a mix of shot from #8 to #6 and holds a fair pattern out to 30 yds. Its almost half of new shot.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since when do I reload to save money??? Ha!

My biggest thing is going to be being able to have the shells I want and not have to worry if Walmart or academy has them. The selection for 20g is less than 12g
Just wanting to learn basis with some all purpose loads maybe. Eventually Special loads like pheasant and buck and maybe steel is main focus but would like to keep a selection of components on hand for other stuff. Never hurts .

Sent via message in a bottle

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to another addiction. That old Mec reloader is good for another 70 years. Which model is it? I have 7 Mec 600 jr shotshell presses, 12 ga 2 1/2 - 12 ga 3" - 16 ga - 20 ga X2 - 410. and one in 28 ga. I love being able to load heavy shot and buckshot loads in what ever caliber I want. I buy most of my wads and shot from either Gene Sears http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/ or my main online supplier http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ Get a Lee buckshot mold and start really having fun. I have a slug mold in 12 ga, but since its not a rifled slug, it isn't legal for deer here in Oklahoma. Invest in a good quality universal charge bar like this http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Un...le-stage-w_Powder-Baffle/productinfo/2100001/ It will allow you to set what ever charge you want either in powder or shot. I moved one from press to press for a long time, before I started getting them for the presses I use most. Pay attention to the load data, shotguns are much weaker than the normal centerfire stuff we have been loading for. Pressure spikes in shotguns can do very bad things.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for power and wads check out http://www.ricksshootingsupplies.com/ he travels to all the shotgun shoots in the state and has the best prices for powder primers and wads. he carries downrange which works a treat. check out shotgunworlds forums for great info on your loader and tricks and all as well as any advise you may need

Latest posts

Top Bottom