Steel Challenge/USSA/Sun. 7th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G Law

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This coming Sunday, Feb. 7th USSA in Owasso will host the Steel Challenge match. Entry is $15 for non members, $10 for USSA members and a mere $5 to shoot that second gun. Sign in starts at 9am and start making noise at 10. No side match this time around since it will be a little chilly and you can get home and watch the pregame show. Come on out and see if you remember how to slap that trigger.
G

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you give me more information on this? I have never been to a steel challenge match. What would I need to bring (what type of firearm(s), and how much ammo, etc)?

Thanks

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you give me more information on this? I have never been to a steel challenge match. What would I need to bring (what type of firearm(s), and how much ammo, etc)?

Thanks

Sure thing man. For Steel Challenge you'll need:

1: Either a .22 pistol or a centerfire pistol or both.

2: A holster that covers the trigger gaurd of your pistol if it's a centerfire. For .22 you don't need a holster.

3: A few magazines for your pistol. You can get buy with two. Someone will just stand behind you and load one of your mags while you use the other one. If you have a common type of pistol I'm sure there are some guys coming to the match that can loan you a mag or two.

4: You'll need exactly 150 rounds to hit every target. Toss in a few misses and you're looking at 200ish rounds to get through the match. If you're a little rusty you might bring some extra.

Here's how Steel Challenge works: You stand in a box facing an array of 5 steel targets. We will shoot six stages with each stage being a different arrangement of steel plates anywhere from about 10-30 yards away. If you're shooting a centerfire pistol, you start with your hands above your shoulders and your pistol in the holster. For .22 you start with the pistol at low ready so you get to skip the draw. At the buzzer you draw your pistol(for centerfire) and then shoot each target once. The time it takes you to hit each target is your score for that run. You then reload, reholster, and get ready to shoot the same stage again. We shoot 5 runs for each stage, and your 4 best times count for score. At the end of the day, the person with the lowest overall time for all the stages wins the game.

It's a blast to shoot steel, and it's a great match for a first competition because the rules are really simple and there's barely any moving around. Anybody can come out and have a blast shooting, and it will really help you tune in your trigger control. There are plenty of guys here on the forums that will testify to that.

Come out and shoot with us. You'll definitely have fun. Hope this helps out, and welcome to the sport! :Heya:

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rock,

Thanks for the info. Myself a few friends intend to hit the challenge as well. We've watched an IDPA and a USPSA match and excited to get to compete!

See you there,
K

Reaction score
I can't wait to shoot this match.
If any of the guys that are coming to this match have significant others that are ladies and the ladies are scared to shoot or intimidated, please bring them and introduce them to me. I am putting together a social event for women that have never shot, barely shoot, shoot but won't compete, and women that have shot forever. I am trying to get more women involved. If your girl won't come to the match but would come to a dinner please email me and I will send you a form to fill out. The form will give me the information I need to put together a dinner party at the academy.
thanks,
Kelly TEAM USSA:hot:

Latest posts

Top Bottom