Stocking a home bar, looking for input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wondering what kind of stuff you guys have in your bars at home, i currently have a quite a various collection in my freezer and decided i should/want to go ahead and get the rest of the stuff to have a small stocked bar.
I have a few different whiskeys, some clear and dark rums vodka some amaretto, triple sec and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, i don't care for tequila so i don't normally keep it.

*disclaimer* I refuse to spend $150 on a fifth so lets keep stuff like johnny walker blue out of here :blush:

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
any complete home bar should have at least:
(off the top of my head)
brown:
bourbon, scotch, canadian, spiced rum, brandy, dark tequila

white: vodka, tequila, rum, gin

cordials: peach schnapps, peppermin schnapps, kahlua, baileys, amaretto, gran marnier, triple sec, sweet and dry vermouth, creme de menthe, godiva, jager, midori, tuaca, sambuca

Heres a tip: dont buy top-top shelf stuff; otherwise your "friends" will tear that **** up in no time.
Buy good solid brands, so you can make good, stiff quality drinks , but dont drop 300 on a patron trio; guests should be coming over to see you, not your bar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heres a tip: dont buy top-top shelf stuff; otherwise your "friends" will tear that **** up in no time.

In my experience, you can stock crap in good looking bottles, and the "buds" will not know the difference.

Trust me. If you take a group of people that do not have educated taste buds with the alcohol, they will not know the difference between good and the medium alcohols. they will know the difference in the rot gut.

BTW Wodford Reserve is the nectar of the Gods.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
any complete home bar should have at least:
(off the top of my head)
brown:
bourbon, scotch, canadian, spiced rum, brandy, dark tequila

white: vodka, tequila, rum, gin

cordials: peach schnapps, peppermin schnapps, kahlua, baileys, amaretto, gran marnier, triple sec, sweet and dry vermouth, creme de menthe, godiva, jager, midori, tuaca, sambuca

Buy good solid brands, so you can make good, stiff quality drinks , but dont drop 300 on a patron trio; guests should be coming over to see you, not your bar.

I dont buy bottom shelf unless im going to a party, but i also dont buy top shelf either, i can not tell the difference in a $100+ bottle of whiskey and a $40 bottle, and if i can after the second one i dont care :drunk5:

I just decided i wanted to broaden my horizons on my home bar, here lately ive been making drinks and using friends and myself as test subject for them, and so far so good. The one everyone likes the best is the "flaming dr pepper"

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, you can stock crap in good looking bottles, and the "buds" will not know the difference.

Trust me. If you take a group of people that do not have educated taste buds with the alcohol, they will not know the difference between good and the medium alcohols. they will know the difference in the rot gut.

BTW Wodford Reserve is the nectar of the Gods.
:o I might have been the guy who puts svedka in a grey goose bottle a time or two before.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You may stock your bar with this or that. Some fruity thing, some fizzy thing... let me give you a piece of advice with one word:

Laphroig

Latest posts

Top Bottom