Stolen guns---- help osa!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concede that my point may have not been clear. Leaving your tv unsecured and leaving your weapons unsecured are two totally different things. It would be unreasonable; or absurd, to assume that someone who steals your tv would be doing so to buy a weapon and hurt some body. The same could be said about the theft of a car. perhaps you missed my point about the ultimate responsibility I mentioned in a previous post.

"By the same token, I would not hold the owner responsible for any damage that may be perpetrated by the thief with the guns in question. "

this would apply to the situation you have mentioned in this post as well.

I caught your responsibility comment and have tried to be careful about considering it in my questions/responses. I guess I don't think it's absurd that a criminal would sell a stolen TV to purchase a firearm. The OP mentioned stolen jewelry, but I doubt they stole it to wear. With no numbers to back it up, I would conjecture that a large number of for-profit crimes are committed with the intent of purchasing drugs or guns

So, if you're not saying the victim is responsible for what the criminal does with a stolen gun, which I completely agree with, can you help me understand the point you are making? I'm not saying safes are bad or that people shouldn't use them. My only point is that I don't villainize, or condescend to someone for not using one.

My comments were from my interpretation of 0311 saying that, basically, it was the victims own fault for not adequately securing his firearms. Again, that was my interpretation.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I caught your responsibility comment and have tried to be careful about considering it in my questions/responses. I guess I don't think it's absurd that a criminal would sell a stolen TV to purchase a firearm. The OP mentioned stolen jewelry, but I doubt they stole it to wear. With no numbers to back it up, I would conjecture that a large number of for-profit crimes are committed with the intent of purchasing drugs or guns

So, if you're not saying the victim is responsible for what the criminal does with a stolen gun, which I completely agree with, can you help me understand the point you are making? I'm not saying safes are bad or that people shouldn't use them. My only point is that I don't villainize, or condescend to someone for not using one.

My comments were from my interpretation of 0311 saying that, basically, it was the victims own fault for not adequately securing his firearms. Again, that was my interpretation.

I feel like the owner of the weapons - and that's a lot of firepower that got stolen, should have had them in a gun safe while he wasn't at home. He was not a responsible firearms owner. The other 1/2 of the blame goes to the crook. If the thief had busted into a gun safe, then I feel like the owner would have been responsible in at least making the effort to secure his guns.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I will say this, and you can take it as one mans opinion. Well, except for the folks who cannot tolerate another opinion and have used the ignore function.

Any weapons that I have outside of a safe are on me or within arms reach. They are never left where they can be taken without considerable effort. This is my due diligence. I am responsible to make sure that my weapon is secured. If it is taken from that secured location then I will not feel guilty if it is stolen. If I left a weapon unsecured and it was taken I accept that my inaction at securing it facilitated the crime. I will still be mad as hell in either case., just like the op should. Also, I feel no condescension toward the OP. I was stating what I think. I dont expect any joy from my voicing this opinion, as it may come across as unseemly.

Having said that, the thief bears the ultimate responsibility in the act of thieving. Just because the item is accessible, does not justify the taking.

It is my hope that the op recovers his property and has the opportunity to rip the testicles or ovaries from the thief if they are caught.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say this, and you can take it as one mans opinion. Well, except for the folks who cannot tolerate another opinion and have used the ignore function.

Any weapons that I have outside of a safe are on me or within arms reach. They are never left where they can be taken without considerable effort. This is my due diligence. I am responsible to make sure that my weapon is secured. If it is taken from that secured location then I will not feel guilty if it is stolen. If I left a weapon unsecured and it was taken I accept that my inaction at securing it facilitated the crime. I will still be mad as hell in either case., just like the op should. Also, I feel no condescension toward the OP. I was stating what I think. I dont expect any joy from my voicing this opinion, as it may come across as unseemly.

Having said that, the thief bears the ultimate responsibility in the act of thieving. Just because the item is accessible, does not justify the taking.

It is my hope that the op recovers his property and has the opportunity to rip the testicles or ovaries from the thief if they are caught.

I guess I have the viewpoint that ones home should be considered secure. Breaking and entering is, in my opinion, considerable effort.

I see and acknowledge where we're differing though. What each of us considers an acceptable level of securing a weapon as wellas what creates an acceptable level of effort for a criminal.

For the record, and what little it might matter, I felt 0311's comments where condescending, not yours. Only voicing my opinion though

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess I have the viewpoint that ones home should be considered secure. Breaking and entering is, in my opinion, considerable effort.

I see and acknowledge where we're differing though. What each of us considers an acceptable level of securing a weapon as wellas what creates an acceptable level of effort for a criminal.

For the record, and what little it might matter, I felt 0311's comments where condescending, not yours. Only voicing my opinion though

Good. I'll be the Big Bad Wolf. Hate to rain on your party, pal, but that's the way I feel about it.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good. I'll be the Big Bad Wolf. Hate to rain on your party, pal, but that's the way I feel about it.

You're entitled to be condescending to anyone, as you've proven. You're not raining on my party at all. And I'm certainly not your pal. I have standards. Treating people with respect being the first

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel like the owner of the weapons - and that's a lot of firepower that got stolen, should have had them in a gun safe while he wasn't at home. He was not a responsible firearms owner. The other 1/2 of the blame goes to the crook. If the thief had busted into a gun safe, then I feel like the owner would have been responsible in at least making the effort to secure his guns.

I appreciate the conversation and debate.

Even if his comments were condescending, that doesn't make them wrong. I can see exactly where he is coming from, and don't necessarily disagree on any particular point except in who is to blame in the end.
how do you stand on the merits of his argument?

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the conversation and debate.

Even if his comments were condescending, that doesn't make them wrong. I can see exactly where he is coming from, and don't necessarily disagree on any particular point except in who is to blame in the end.
how do you stand on the merits of his argument?

I agree that someone can be condescending while being right.

My disagreement with his argument is that I consider a home to be adequately secure without further security inside locked doors and windows. Again, not ANTI-safe by any means

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Listen, Torch Red, I'm sorry for that quip up there. It's like that here on this forum and a lot of times people forget their manners, and I certainly did. We go at each other pretty bad sometimes and I stand corrected.

Latest posts

Top Bottom