Store eggs up to 2 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've left even store bought eggs on the counter for several weeks with no deleterious effects. In actuality it's hard to find non-washed farm fresh eggs at all... even local egg producing folks usually spray them off to remove any appearance of yuckiness before they sell them to friends and neighbors. You really have to specifically ASK them BEFOREHAND NOT to wash them in any way at all. When I've done this, I've been met with resistance - alot of them don't want to handle or dispense eggs that may have a little poop on them. lol

Talk to That Girl and others like her. People that have a few ducks and chickens that lay more eggs than they can eat. Heck if Edmond was not so crazy I would have half a dozen hens.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've left even store bought eggs on the counter for several weeks with no deleterious effects. In actuality it's hard to find non-washed farm fresh eggs at all... even local egg producing folks usually spray them off to remove any appearance of yuckiness before they sell them to friends and neighbors. You really have to specifically ASK them BEFOREHAND NOT to wash them in any way at all. When I've done this, I've been met with resistance - alot of them don't want to handle or dispense eggs that may have a little poop on them. lol
I've had store bought eggs go bad in the fridge. I'm not about to leave 'em on the counter. :D

Perhaps we can agree to disagree. :drunk2:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have too many eggs, it's time to stop buying them, start selling or giving away more, have more fried chicken, and or eat more eggs. I think one of those four should cover most over abundance of egg problems.

What in the world do eggs in those jars taste like? Fresh is amazing.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never wash my eggs until I'm ready to crack them open. I have been tempted to lime some chicken eggs and see how they do. Gosh, now you're gonna make me do it aren't you ... :anyone:

Let me drag out some jars. And some pickling lime ... I remember my grandma doing this. She never kept any more than about few months or so, so she typically just kept them in cartons in the root cellar. She thought it was silly to spend the extra money to lime them when the bloom kept them fresh.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grandmother had the eggs in a hanging basket in the kitchen.
Keep the laying area nice and clean with straw or old carpet pieces and you do not get much poop on them.

My hens had to walk up a 6 foot wood ladder plank then make a right turn and walk another 4 feet in a tunnel and then the nesting area.
By the time they got there the feet were pretty clean.

You can rinse the poo off lightly and the bloom is still on the egg.
Grandmother would also freeze eggs when they got a freezer.
She would crack them and put the good stuff in a 1/2 gallon milk carton.. the paper ones that were kind of wax lined.
A clothes pin would keep the cartons closed.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have too many eggs, it's time to stop buying them, start selling or giving away more, have more fried chicken, and or eat more eggs. I think one of those four should cover most over abundance of egg problems.

What in the world do eggs in those jars taste like? Fresh is amazing.

I LOVE pickled eggs. Especially for egg salad sammiches.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One issue...
If you are going to use this method, BE CAREFUL, the LIME is very dangerous if you get it in your eyes. My grandfather spent about 5 days in the hospital while they tried to save his vision in one eye, because he got lime in it on a construction site. They were successful, but it was a horrible experience for him, and us too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom