Store eggs up to 2 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like most store-bought ones... but doing your own is a whole other experience.

I have some fond memories of living in my trailer out in the country, I'd work ER all night, get off at 6AM, come home and have 2 or 3 pickled eggs with some onion and jalapenos out of the jar (sometimes some carrots or beets) along with Glenlivet, surf the intarwebz for an hour or two while I relaxed, then crash for the day. Sometimes it was real nice sitting out on the porch in the country in the cool morning air, watching the horses and the cows, etc.

I miss being in the country.

<edit> And yes, I was always wearing pants... I did have a couple of people within view, lol.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have too many eggs, it's time to stop buying them, start selling or giving away more, have more fried chicken, and or eat more eggs. I think one of those four should cover most over abundance of egg problems.

What in the world do eggs in those jars taste like? Fresh is amazing.

Well hens stop laying when they go through a molt, they usually stop laying in the winter months. I haven't bought a store egg in over ten years. Why would I want to eat something I don't know what has been injected, fed or stored. Some of us live a different life style that doesn't depend on eating everything from a store.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well hens stop laying when they go through a molt, they usually stop laying in the winter months. I haven't bought a store egg in over ten years. Why would I want to eat something I don't know what has been injected, fed or stored. Some of us live a different life style that doesn't depend on eating everything from a store.

That was a joke for That Gurl. Sometimes they are funny, sometimes they are not.

Until the pandemic, I just bought eggs off a farmer. They are vastly superior to store bought. I grew up not depending on stores for much. Veggies came from our back yard, my grandparents, or are relatives that were farmers. Beef came from our relatives.

I don't have the time nor space, or any of those relatives alive anymore.

I can eat an amazing amount of corn as I pick it. I got banned from picking corn at a rather young age.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have stored eggs for over two years and they were just fine. tried two different ways---one was rubbed with butter and packed in stock salt and without butter same way. the other was just put them in a refrigerator. both methods worked just fine and after the third year i got tired of the experiment and either used them or tossed them. but do know that either way if you wash the egg before storing it will spoil and the grocery store eggs won't keep either. the stored eggs did loose moisture so the whites got real sticky and the longer time went the worse this became. but they were edible and just needed a little water mixed in when i scrambled them. i hadn't seen the lime water method

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks @RickN for posting this. We used to store eggs up to a month in the cellar by not washing them just in a metal bucket.
Grandma did that for decades.

I think this method would be great for preppers if the SHTF. They could have eggs all winter and if enough, a valuable trade good.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it true that an egg gone bad will float in water? I've tried to find out on my own but I've never had one float yet and they all tasted fine even after up to a month and even a little more past expiration. These are store bought 'cause the city don't like farm animals. That may be racist or something...

Latest posts

Top Bottom