Store eggs up to 2 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This does work

However, just placing fresh eggs, not washed, on the counter and they will keep for a couple months.

To check your eggs; fill a bowl with tap water. Place the egg in the bowl.
If it floats, it is not good. Throw it out.
If it stands on end, but does not float. It is good, but cook it at that time.
If it lays on the bottom, it is good to store.

Reviving this old thread, for relevance due to today's egg situation.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna have to try this water glassing. Got 31 dozen right now, 10 dz are being picked up tommorrow and another 8 dz Monday. Some have been washed the problem is dont know which ones. So will try with some fresh eggs I gather going forward.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
lol your comment made me just do the same and then you read my mind.

except the whole re-examination. heck i love this stuff. although i realized how few eggs i actually eat. use a lot for cooking, but eggs are one of those things i think i could theoretically just be like "ehhh, guess i don't have eggs now."

but i've got plenty of sources of unwashed eggs so i will have to try this out. don't have fridge space, and i've already got two deep freezes in the garage.....

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't try to long store store bought eggs unless you cook or dry freeze dry them. if you want to store for long term the egg can't be washed. i have stored and used eggs that were over 2 years old without refrigeration.
So you’re saying that you’ve eaten unwashed eggs with the bloom, that were 2 years old? Stored at room temp? Or 2 years after using this lime and water technique?

Latest posts

Top Bottom