Subsonic 115gr 9mm???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotcha... My thought was to load them as long as possible to avoid an over pressure situation. I suppose that if I were to try to really fine tune the load down that adjusting the COL down might be something to consider. As of now I'm pretty happy with what I've got and don't think I'm going to mess with tweaking it any further. you never know, I might change my mind later on. lol... I've got enough ammo that I'm happy with to wait for 147's, so I'm all good now.

Heck yeah, if it works, don't try to fix it, lol. They didn't work for me that long. I want to try them a little shorter.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the 147's that are currently available to me are twice as expensive as the 115's that I got. My preference is for 147's, this experiment is to find a happy medium with the bullets that I could get my hands on.

I understand. I did the same when I was sitting on 4k of the 115's. lol Bullets sure have gone up lately. when in components they were close in price not long ago. Good luck with your testing.

Rayce

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried a couple of powders for the Hornady Specs.

9MM Luger - Bullseye Powder

Bullet Hornady FMJ 115 Grn
Brass Blazer 60 Grn
Primer Federal #100 SP 3.5 Grn
Powder Bullseye 4.0 Grn 1025 fps +/-
182.5 Grn Total

This load shoots but I cal it a wimpy load, Shot it through a Witness, It did cycle. I called it a wimpy load and went back up to 4.2 Grn of Bulleye. But with 4.2 Grains you sure can tell the pressure change on the blazer barss.

9MM Luger - Power Pistol

Bullet Hornady FMJ 115 Grn
Brass Winchester 59 Grn
Primer Federal #100 SP 3.5 Grn
Powder Power Pistol 6.2 Grn 1175 fps +/-
183.8 Grn Total

This load shoots very well, cycles well through a Witness.. And it works the brass. You may be able to work down from here..

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This load shoots but I cal it a wimpy load, Shot it through a Witness, It did cycle. I called it a wimpy load and went back up to 4.2 Grn of Bulleye. But with 4.2 Grains you sure can tell the pressure change on the blazer barss.

LOL!!! I was loading 3.2 grains of Bullseye behind a 124 gr bullet. THAT was wimpy. Cycled my Sig 228 every time though! Really fun, but I doubt it would be good for anything other than punching paper.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update.... I finally got a chance to shoot some blazer brass along side of my new 115 grain "sub-sonic" recipe. The factory ammo was a LOT louder than the reloads.

So far I've put 300 of the my 115's through the AR and the M&P with ZERO problems. Accuracy and reliability are 100% so far and while the 115's are not as quiet as the 124's or 147's they are much quieter than blazer brass and run like a champ!

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about an update on my update... After running the first 300 rounds of my new 115 grain subsonic rounds with no problems I felt confident enough in these rounds to run them in the monthly Oil Captial practical rifle match. I'm not 100% sure it was the ammo but I had problems all day. There are videos of me clearing jambs all afternoon. I'm thinking that these rounds are a little light for any real use now, they are certainly too light for knocking steel targets over. Nice and quiet but not hot enough for too much else. lol...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about an update on my update... After running the first 300 rounds of my new 115 grain subsonic rounds with no problems I felt confident enough in these rounds to run them in the monthly Oil Captial practical rifle match. I'm not 100% sure it was the ammo but I had problems all day. There are videos of me clearing jambs all afternoon. I'm thinking that these rounds are a little light for any real use now, they are certainly too light for knocking steel targets over. Nice and quiet but not hot enough for too much else. lol...
Rusty,

I've shot the 115 Blazer Aluminum and found that even at supersonic the plates and poppers don't always fall. That's out of my 5" M&P so we may be talking apples and oranges if your barrel is longer. Try some 124's but I'd personally go with 147's for "business" rounds. :twocents:

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rusty,

I've shot the 115 Blazer Aluminum and found that even at supersonic the plates and poppers don't always fall. That's out of my 5" M&P so we may be talking apples and oranges if your barrel is longer. Try some 124's but I'd personally go with 147's for "business" rounds. :twocents:

Yep. Let's not fprget that this experiment was to to attempt a useable 115 grain subsonic round. I've gotten much better results from 124's and 147's and there is no doubt in my mind about which bullets are best for this application. Since I got a deal on the 115's I wanted to try this. lol... The heavier bullets are quieter anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom