Suggestions for .12 gauge load best for Black Vulture control?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NON-TOXIC?

Isn't that like wiping with alcohol before lethal injection?

Buzzards are very wary and difficult to get into range.
3" minimum, 3 1/2" preferred.
Bismuth or TSS. Costly, but effective and worth the price.
3 1/2" #5 or #6 TSS is an 80 yard effective load.

Find a roost, set up before first light, a

.223 FMJ will make a beautiful red mist.
1 shot is most likely, all you will get.
Possibly, the next day, but rarely a third.
They learn fast.
Road kill bait in field will be similar, once, maybe twice and GONE.

IF pass shooting, remember, when hit, they puke and it stinks!!!!!. My buddy learned the hard way.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are not as big as you think. They are all feathers. We caught one in a trap once and released it, didn’t weigh more than about 4 pounds. And yes, you can shoot some in Oklahoma with the proper paperwork.

You can kill them with a.22 rifle. I have.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was fishing at Roaring River State Park a couple months ago. There were signs posted about the black vultures and to report any problems.
I saw a guy pull his stringer of trout out of the river and turn to leave. A black vulture setting nearby went after the fish behind the guys back. The guy turned just in time to see what was about to happen and the vulture took off.
My trout rod wouldn’t do much against one, might have to carry a cat fish rod to fight them off.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also even if you have the permits make sure your shooting black vultures and not young turkey vultures. Their heads are black also till they get older
A few years back, I was sitting in my mom’s dining room looking out the patio door when I saw these crows under the pear tree hopping, trying to get the low-hanging pears. I thought they looked awfully big for crows, then I realized that they were juvenile vultures that hadn’t molted yet.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I may be in legal trouble, because I just killed a black vulture a few minutes ago. As I said previously, I think they’ll be difficult to kill by pass shooting, but the Ranch Hand bumper/grill guard on my F550 at 60mph will knock the life right out of one.🤣
Really lucky it hit the grill guard. Saw a guy take one to the windshield once and there wasn't much left of either!

Latest posts

Top Bottom