Super Cheap Vortex Sparc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it took a few weeks, but my Chinese "Vortex" Sparc has arrived. Time will tell whether it holds its zero, but so far it seems solid, works properly, and the red dot is small enough that it probably is 2 MOA as advertized.

I still suspect that these are coming out of the same factor that make the branded Sparcs. I've seen this sort of thing before with, for example, the lasermax pistol lasers.
Anyone interested, check out aliexpress. My guess is that in the next few years, this site will start to seriously compete with ebay. Prices are excellent for all the crap that is made in China already -- just fewer middlemen to take their cut.

What makes you think it comes out of the same factory that builds the branded Sparcs? Also, what proof do you have that the fake lasermax clones from Ali-express come out of the same factory as the real ones?

Ali-Express is not new and has been selling fake Chinese rip-offs for years and is well known for that. None of the knives/electronics/tools I've ever seen that were purchased from that site are remotely close to the real thing. They don't pay for licensing/patents and blatantly rip off legit knife-makers as well as other manufacturers.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am, of course, guessing. But I'd say it is very possible I am correct. Here are a few reasons:
1) both the Sparc and the knock-off laser I have look, feel, and function as the original does.
2) the laser is actually branded by a few different companies now
3) Chinese factories are third party contracted firms. They are almost never owned by the actual retailer.
4) It costs a fair amount to tool up for production... who is making the components, the case, etc.? Once the factory has everything in place to manufacture # for the contracted retailer, why assume they will not just make some extras to sell on the side? Even if the contract says they can't, as we know, these companies have no regard for patents.

Thus, while I cannot be certain, and by no means am certain, I have what in all respects seems the same as a $150 red-dot for 1/3 of the price. I thus hold an opinion, one that I think is likely true, that in the case of this Sparc knock-off, it came out of the same factory as the branded product.

Note that I well agree that the knock-off Eotechs are not the same. The hologram in the original is too costly, so they replace it with a simple diode projection. By contrast, I have a 2 MOA red dot with the Sparc and I'm very happy with it. However, I also bought (1) a knock off of a Trijicon RMR with what is also a small red dot. It cost me $40 vs. $400; and knock-offs of Troy iron sights for $25 rather than $250. They are both made out of anodized machined aluminum. They work just as I need them to and even if they break, so what... replace them for $25. They are so cheap I'm not worried about pampering my rifle and can have lots of plinking fun.

Let me, however, well acknowledge that for a personal defense weapon, one should either (a) go with an industry tested product or (b) buy a knock-off and work it hard to see if it holds up. But, mostly, this is just a big-boy-toy.

If you're skeptical about the quality, maybe order one and try it out. You'll probably be very happy with it.
And as always, Caveat Emptor.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't imagine these come from the same factory simply because these knockoff's are the scourge of legitimate companies who spend millions fighting the "knockoff" companies. For say, Trijicon, to spend the massive amounts they do tracking down and trying to shut down these factories building the fakes and then pay the same factory to make legitimate products isn't going to happen.

Personally I wouldn't buy a suspiciously low priced product simply because I, in no way, wish to support the "knockoff" industry. Considering the illegal nature of these businesses you can pretty much imagine where your money is going in these countries.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am, of course, guessing. But I'd say it is very possible I am correct..

You are guessing, but think you might be correct because of post purchase justification IMO. Until someone posts a direct comparison with facts nobody will know.

I've seen too many guys buy knock off accessories and got burn so I'll pass. You end up saving money in the long run if you actually shoot a bit by buying quality that lasts.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a buddy who always swore his trashco scopes were just as good as leupold, vortex and nikon. Within a couple years he was finally convinced after spending the coin for a better scope. Then it was like night and day difference, you would have thought he was a salesman for the better scope manufacturer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom