T-Mobile Internet Auto Pay Bait And Switch - Dumping Payment By Credit Card

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a notice today from T-Mobile that as of July 21st they will no longer accept payment by credit card for payment of their internet service. Only debit card or checking account registration will be accepted to qualify for the $5.00 discount when enrolled in Auto Pay.

We signed up for the Auto Pay with our credit card for the convenience, security, and the $5.00 discount. Now they want us to sacrifice security by going to automatic bank account withdrawals or debit card automatic payments to keep the $5.00 discount. We dropped debit cards years ago due to our debit card being hacked every 3 or 4 months, and there is no way we will authorize access to our banking.

This is a really sucky move by T-Mobile. Until we can find an acceptable internet service alternative out here where we live, we'll be paying by check.

Thoughts?

Woody
AT&T enticed my wife into paying by card.
Up until now we have refused autopsy from our bank account or by debit cards.
We pay our credit card bills with checks.
The banks cancel my debit card every now and again because I don’t use it enough.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our T-Mobile Wi-Fi is $30, so, CC fee is less than $1.

Call then and threaten to cancel service. We have to call Dish about every 6-7 months. They send notice of rate increase and we end up with a reduction or same rate with other channels.

For Wi-Fi, we have had 4 providers. T-Mobile is best, by far.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that. But a check is a one time payment each time I make a payment and doesn't give them permission to enter that info into their hack-able system to take payments automatically.

I still believe it is a bait and switch. They get you hooked on the $5.00 "discount" with the credit card auto-pay then cut off that discount by no longer accepting credit card payments.

No one can tell me that T-Mobile didn't know about the percentage that credit card companies charge when they instituted the $5.00 discount with the credit card auto-pay. Ergo, bait and switch.

I may be all wet, but I believe T-Mobile will lose customers - costing them more than paying the credit card companies their percentage.

Also of note is that T-Mobile will still accept credit card payments for their phone services. Are they testing the waters? If so, this may be more than just sticking a toe in the water.

Woody

No, just a way of eliminating operating costs on their end. No fee's vs percentage or flat fee per CC charge. ATT has already been doing this for years.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also of note is that T-Mobile will still accept credit card payments for their phone services. Are they testing the waters? If so, this may be more than just sticking a toe in the water.
My younger brother in Ohio said T-Mobile told him "in a couple months" he would no longer get the 5% discount, but he could still pay with the card (phone services only - no internet).

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Leave it to the bean counters to come up with new ways to make money. Or to save money by not spending money on cc fees. It's nothing new. You can choose another provider or bend to their wishes. I doubt they care if you threatened to cancel service.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that. But a check is a one time payment each time I make a payment and doesn't give them permission to enter that info into their hack-able system to take payments automatically.
Woody
A Check has all the information a crook needs to scam your account. (Routing Number & Account Number)
1) ACH
2) Print new checks with the above information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom