Taurus TCP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the gun? I'm in the market for another pocket 380 and its between the TCP and LCP. I've had 2 lcp's already. The taurus feels better in my hands.The trigger seems nicer, and it locks back after last round. Downside is it's a taurus lol. I've read several reviews online. Most seem to like them. But there are a few people who had issues. So I thought I'd ask OSA members their thoughts.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no experience with the TCP but I like my LCP and don't really see the need for locking open on the last round since this is a up-close self-defense gun. I've been considering the KAHR CM9 which are kinda hard to get but noticed that BUD'S has them back in stock for a little over $400.00. P.S.-Never mind the KAHR, I just came from their website and the are already sold-out(again).

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah see I've had 2 lcp's and both were 100% reliable, which can be hard to find in 380 sometimes. But they just don't feel good in my hands. The locking back isn't a requirement, but it is nice.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they work, They're awesome. Only problem is, they seem to not work often. I enjoy shooting mine as much as any other gun I own. I had to send mine in because it had several issues and when I got it back, I blew through at least 200 rounds without a failure. Then the extractor broke. I replaced it myself rather than sending the gun off again. Since then I've probably put another 200 through it with about 4 failures to eject. I really like shooting the gun and it's ease of concealment, but as a primary carry it's too iffy. I got on the list for a Seecamp for that reason.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never owned one, but I have shot a buddies. Seemed to be a nice pistol. Smooth trigger and accurate. We saw no problems with it while shooting it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a very happy LCP owner, but I have shot my father's TCP quite a bit and prefer it to the Ruger. I am going to quote myself to make it easier to articulate why:

Today I fired about 3 magazines through my father's new TCP. I am ready to trade up from my LCP to one of these for several reasons:

1. The trigger was smoother, shorter, and lighter - but not too short or too light for a carry piece
2. The trigger guard is angled/sloped out, and not back in towards your trigger finger. This allows more room for you if you are wearing gloves (I cannot fit a gloved finger in my LCP without working it in there, and I have small hands). This also prevents the trigger finger from getting slapped against the inside of the guard, which can cause it to go numb (happens to me occasionally)
3. The reset is noticeably shorter on the TCP. About one out of every 20 shots with my LCP I will not release the trigger enough to reset it.
4. The palm swell is a bit more full on the TCP. Not much (not Glock-like), but enough it makes it more comfortable to hold and shoot IMHO. It just feels better.
5. It has a REAL slide lock and release, meaning it locks back on the last fired round of the magazine

I am happy with my LCP for what it is (carried often, shot infrequently), but the TCP really has refined some of the shortcomings that existed in other micro .380 pistols. I would find myself shooting it more at the range than my LCP if I owned one. As it stands now, I only shoot my LCP enough to stay proficient, then it's off to my full-size pistol.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See thats the problem with these TCP's. SOme love, some hate them. I know the LCP works. So I found a smokin deal at sooner state pawn. Lnib lcp with a fobus paddle holster, $225 out the door today. Couldn't beat that deal anywhere online, so I couldn't refuse. Thanks for the replies guys

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a TCP for a while and it worked 100% fine. Liked it much better than an LCP. But, it is a Taurus so your experience may vary.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a TCP and likes the gun, the finish is very cheap, which makes me question other quality issues, but have had 0 firing issues. I sold it because I prefer a larger caliber.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a TCP everyday in my pocket. I have had no problems except with some Tula ammo. Good quality ammo and I have had no problems. I have probably put 700 rounds now through mine and had some "breaking" in to start, but has been flawless since.

Latest posts

Top Bottom