Tea Time to Get Serious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been a Lipton man. It's what I grew up with my mom making and what I've made myself. Is there better out there? Any Luzianne or Cain's fans want to push your warez? What about some of the more obscure, but still easily found, brands like Celestial Seasonings, Twinings, and the like? I would guess Luzianne would be one to try. I'm sure I've tried other brands at restaurants, people's houses, whatever, but I've only knowingly consumed homemade sweet tea using Lipton.

Right now I do 2 family size Lipton bags in a pot of water, bringing to a boil and then cutting the heat to let steep until room temperature. Then I pour into a jug, add 3/4-1 cup of sweetener (all sugar, all honey, or a mixture of both) and fill with cold water until the 3-quart mark.

What's your preferred tea bag for sweet iced tea?

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave out the sweetener, and you'll be making good tea. Never saw the need in ruining good tea by putting sugar in it! Of course everyone has different tastes.

I've never tried the Luzianne's, but have tried Cain's, like Lipton's better.

I brew mine in a 4 cup coffee maker. One big bag if it's just the wife and I, two bags if we have company. I run the water through a PUR filter pitcher, but just discovered I have a very good well out on the land. I might start bringing well water home when I've been out shooting or hunting. When my dad first had the well dug, the water was very irony. Now it's excellent.

And for some reason I always thought sun tea tasted different, and not in a good way.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liptons, 3 regular bags in my small pot (lol...) of water, bring to boil. Toss it in the pitcher that already has 2 cups of sugar (I like cavities forming as I drink it) stir it up. Then I add the rest of the water to bring it up to a gallon.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard that if you have a certain "medical card" that you are privvy to a really groovy new kind of tea.
I don't know for sure, just what I heard.............

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use whatever is cheap, Luzianne or Lipton or store brand. I use enough bags to make 3 quarts, then I add a Twinings Earl Grey bag and use those to brew a gallon. I add just a bit (maybe a quarter cup for the gallon) of sugar, to ease any bitterness.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use whatever is cheap, Luzianne or Lipton or store brand. I use enough bags to make 3 quarts, then I add a Twinings Earl Grey bag and use those to brew a gallon. I add just a bit (maybe a quarter cup for the gallon) of sugar, to ease any bitterness.

I also will sometimes add a random couple of hot tea bags for the slightest hint of something spicy (chai) or fruity (blueberry) or whatever I feel like.

Using 3/4-1 cup of sweetener for 3 quarts to a gallon I thought I was being a bit too generous with the sweets, but looking up "perfect iced tea" recipes I see that a lot of recipes require up to almost or just at twice the sugar. I think my tea is pretty sweet as is, I can't imagine double the sugar.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I add just a bit (maybe a quarter cup for the gallon) of sugar, to ease any bitterness.

"ease the bitterness" huh?

Not me, Cap'n.....I use it to ensure that the spoon stands up straight in the glass. :thumb:

I do like the "Sugar In the RAW" brand tho'....good stuff!

HVYCHVY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Beavis voice] hehehe he said tea bag heheh

I'm a Tetley tea kid. If I go out of town for a week, I pack up my tea makin' equipment, a 1 qt. Pyrex measurer, Tetley tea, and sugar. (Tetley doesn't deal with WM.) I toss in 4 round bags in near boiling water then throw a lid and let is steep for 15 minutes. While it steeping, I scoop out 3-4 cups sugar and dump in bottom of a gal pitcher. Timer goes off, pour tea over sugar, stir till desolved (makes a slurry), add more water to tea bags, pour, stir, repeat. enjoy. Ahhhh

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever have sweet tea from Chicken Express? That is God's Nectar my friends!
I've never eaten there.
My grandma's sweet tea tho'.....sometimes you could cut it with a knife.
It was always funny to listen to my grandpa b!tch about the tea being too sweet. :rollingla

Then I remember being in a small town Pizza Hut after attending a funeral for a family member.
We're all kinda' sittin' around somber and a bit bummed...as you do...and all of a sudden we here the table directly behind us ordering drinks:

"Ya'll got SWATE TAE?"
Yeah, that was one of those overly demonstrative tension breakers that almost led to a fist fight in the parking lot.;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom