Tell me about cross bows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Want to get into deer hunting and it might be nice to be able to hunt places like Thunderbird where guns are not allowed. I've never been much of a fan of compound bows and think I'd like a cross bow better...are they still legal in OK and are they a good choice?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Legal for everyone to use. Use to be only with a doctors note with a reason why a person couldn’t hunt with a compound but those days are gone.
As for xbows, depends on your budget. The Wicked Ridge XL is a reasonably priced bow. I hunt with a Barnett Penatrator myself. There is a Chinese bow in the 325 range that is getting good reviews based on speed and quietness

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'd be entry level for sure until I got more serious...I do also plan to gun hunt, but more of a hassle if you have to rely on people for land. I would hunt public land with bow but not gun; I perceive it to be too dangerous. I think I would actually hunt every year if I got a cross bow.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS! If you are wanting to hunt archery buy yourself a good bow. Cocking is a PITA. Then keeping the rail lubed is a PITA. The strings have to be lubed every so often. Again PITA. Uncocking is a PITA. They give you a dud to shoot at the ground, or you have to drive home with a locked and cocked crossbow in order to fire it at your target.

I’ve hunted with one quite a bit. Sold it. Gonna buy a bow.

Ymmv. Just one mans opinion.

Last edited:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_5314.JPG
I had a Mathews for years and loved it until I tore a rotator cuff. Had to go to a Ravin R9. A buddy of mine bought it new and made me a deal on it. It's the one they advertise on the Outdoor channel. I can hit a half dollar size target at 50 yards EVERY TIME. Expensive but love it much more. You can also use the crank to un-cock it so you don't have to fire it into the ground. You don't have to grease the rail and the cocked axle to axle distance is 6". And yes, that's a bipod!

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the few hassles that come with a crossbow. I started hunting with one in 2003 after a ladder fall resulted in an ACL separation. I usually cock my bow at the truck and use a crap arrow/bolt and just release into a gopher mound or other known soft ground. One of the target manufacturers is making a small release target but I just use the crap bolt.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t get the negativity towards a crossbow. I’ve hunted with a crossbow a lot and killed A BUNCH of deer and pigs, and the experience has been great and problem free. I’ve only hunted with Excaliburs (recurves), but there are some really nice compound crossbows on the market.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t get the negativity towards a crossbow. I’ve hunted with a crossbow a lot and killed A BUNCH of deer and pigs, and the experience has been great and problem free. I’ve only hunted with Excaliburs (recurves), but there are some really nice compound crossbows on the market.

Excalibur for me too. Cock and unload with the crank.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Centerpoint Sniper 370 reviews. Can be found for <$280, I've seen it as low as $240.
That’s the one I was thinking about. I started out with a Barnett Jackel. My sone hunted with one as well as a couple buddies from work. I bet we had 15 or so deer between us. It’s an entry level bow that does the trick within reasonable distances

Latest posts

Top Bottom