Tell us about your time at the Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Few guns on my list but none of which I pulled the trigger on (didnt even see 3 of the 4).
I did get an upper and some Walnut furniture for it (yes it kills me that I went there and only got AR parts).
I still enjoy going and got to talk to Turnbull and Tyler about a case hardening project....surprisingly to me they were similarly priced but turnaround from Turnbull would be about 1/4 of the time.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I knew a guy named Jake that shot soneone with a 10mm at a gunshow. Might even been a Wanamaker show. Been at least 10 or more years ago.
A real braniac this guy
Back in college i worked at Tulsa Gun and Pawn. The boss, Buck Dickinson always told me "its not if but when you will have an A.D.. when you handle the numbers of guns daily that we do, its a matter of time".
That day came in november of 95. Rule #1. Always keep pointed in a safe direction. THANK GOD for rule #1!!!!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barrels full of sand that are positioned at entrances to Dining facilities and other areas that weapons need to be cleared. Drop the Mag, clear the round and dry fire into the hole cut in the top of the barrel. I first say then in 1995 and they continue to be used in Iraq and Afghanistan to this day.
View attachment 99131
Gotcha. Had them, used them. Just didn't understand the vernacular. I have one similar at my loading bench. Its a 5 gallon oil container with a short plastic snout filled with sand to discharge pistol loads that are rejects for whatever reason. Put some fiberglass insulation over the sand to prevent sand blow back, and change it on occasion. Don't use it much, but its handy.

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, that was quite an experience! My first ever gun show and I was not let down!
Couldn't really find any good deals from the dealers, but I did pick up an excellent condition MAS 36 from a private seller for a decent price. Also met a really kind Springfield Trapdoor expert/dealer who gave me his card and pledged to help me out no matter who I end up buying a Trapdoor from eventually so I don't get ripped off. Asked if he shows up to every Wanenmacher and he stated he did! That kind of kindness means I'll probably just save up and wait to buy one off him the next time the show rolls around.
I was really bummed however to not find a good condition Enfield No4 Mk1 for a reasonable price. All of them were either really beat up or priced several hundred dollars more than Gunbroker prices. I think I only came across 1 or 2 with the milled micrometer rear sight, but those were all $1000+! :crying: I think I'll just end up ordering one off Gunbroker.

Really sad I didn't get to stumble across Hickok though! Maybe he'll turn up at the Fall show too?
But I'm definitely hooked on gun shows now. Are there any other really good ones between now and the Fall Wanenmacher show?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha. Had them, used them. Just didn't understand the vernacular. I have one similar at my loading bench. Its a 5 gallon oil container with a short plastic snout filled with sand to discharge pistol loads that are rejects for whatever reason. Put some fiberglass insulation over the sand to prevent sand blow back, and change it on occasion. Don't use it much, but its handy.
Sounds a lot better than what I 'was' using out in my shop- a basket of old towels. Or what I thought were old towels. The wife came up to me one day and said moths must have ate holes in the Tshirts that she had brought back from the Albuquerque balloon festival. When I saw it I knew it wasn't moths. Me and the kid had fixed the spring on his .22 and had to test it out so we shot it into a basket of old lakecabin towels that I usually used when I cleared a gun out there but never had had to shoot into it before. We told her what we did and we're still in trouble...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was really bummed however to not find a good condition Enfield No4 Mk1 for a reasonable price. All of them were either really beat up or priced several hundred dollars more than Gunbroker prices. I think I only came across 1 or 2 with the milled micrometer rear sight, but those were all $1000+! :crying: I think I'll just end up ordering one off Gunbroker.

If more gun dealers realized that a person visiting their table that said, "I've got to think about this for a moment, was the key word they were going to step out and look on their internet phone at what prices were on the internet" and make a decision on buying their gun on not.
I've showed some of them my phone with prices, and they basically said no deal. I'm guessing they didn't buy that gun they are trying to sell me at a very good price, or they are looking for a dummy.
Smart phones and the internet are a gun buyers best friend.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds a lot better than what I 'was' using out in my shop- a basket of old towels. Or what I thought were old towels. The wife came up to me one day and said moths must have ate holes in the Tshirts that she had brought back from the Albuquerque balloon festival. When I saw it I knew it wasn't moths. Me and the kid had fixed the spring on his .22 and had to test it out so we shot it into a basket of old lakecabin towels that I usually used when I cleared a gun out there but never had had to shoot into it before. We told her what we did and we're still in trouble...
HAHAHA! that's awesome!

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
If more gun dealers realized that a person visiting their table that said, "I've got to think about this for a moment, was the key word they were going to step out and look on their internet phone at what prices were on the internet" and make a decision on buying their gun on not.
I've showed some of them my phone with prices, and they basically said no deal. I'm guessing they didn't buy that gun they are trying to sell me at a very good price, or they are looking for a dummy.
Smart phones and the internet are a gun buyers best friend.
I think a local gun show, with local dealers they are looking for a dummy. I would think that if you are selling ARs at Wanenmacher's then volume sales with lower profits. However, to drive and RV and the cost of staying for a few days at Wanenmacher's Gun Show. A dealer has to make more on each sale, if they are selling collectors items. Most of the great deals are going to happen on Friday between dealers.
I was walking telling my wife, if I had an FFL, I could buy guns off gunbroker and resale them for a profit on Saturday. However, I did not see a lot of people buying.
Even guys walking around were wanting me to give them my rifle and aimpoint. I think most of the guys asking about them were wanting to flip them for a profit.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dont let this show ruin you for other shows. Because after this one, the others are a real let down.
Also, 20 years ago, we would wait for this show and load up. Then we discovered the Shotgun News. It was like the show on your doorstep every other week!
Now days the show is just a social thing. Something we do to keep our "Honkey Card" in good standing. Everything, or at least 99% is available just a click away on the web.
The man i used to work for would not budge on prices. "Why lower your prices at the feeding frenzy?" he would say.
He did not care if that item sat in our store for a couple years. As long as he made his homerun on it, thats all that matters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom