Ten Point Titan Tl-7 vs a newer affordable crossbow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, I am new to crossbows and I don't really know what to compare besides size weight and fps. I also get that kinetic energy in ft/lbs is another way to judge power as far as I understand but that is about all I can compare at the moment.

I have the opportunity to trade for an older Ten Point Tl-7 that clocks in around 285 fps with a little over 400 gr bolt I believe.

Now what I was wondering was if I should consider getting this older xbow or just go ahead and get a newer faster model instead. I was looking at the Barnett Jackal and it seems to have comparable weight and size with a faster shot at 315 fps.

The Tl-7 used to be a pretty pricey bow in its day and I just wanted to know if anyone with more experience could enlighten me to the possible unseen benefits of the older Ten Point vs the new Jackal which has great reviews but is significantly cheaper now new than the Ten Point was in its day.

All the info I can get on the Tl-7 is pretty dated and it seems the crossbow field has evolved a lot since 2007-2010 era.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared on the matter. I just don't want to sell myself short if I have the opportunity for something special that I can't really appreciate with my limited knowledge.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy any crossbow but a Barnett. Trust me, do yourself a favor. Any brand but a Barnett. The cheap Barnetts are by far the worst!!! Don't believe me, go to Bass Pro and ask the staff their what they think of Barnett and how many get returned on a weekly basis and you will have your answer instantly. Seriously go ask them. Some people love their Barnetts but I have far and away seen more problems with them than any other brand, in my experience.

Between those two bows, hands down the TenPoint no questions asked for me. If you want a newer bow that shoots a little faster look at the Wicked Ridge Invader or Warrior. They are made by TenPoint, solid bows, that are shooting over 300fps and won't cost you an arm and a leg, but will last you a long while.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get wrapped up in the speed, we kill deer with longbows and recurves still....................slow arrows :) As he said above, go with the most reliable xbow you can afford. Check out as many reviews as possible on as many sites as possible.

I bought a Ten Point XLT Turbo years ago because it's only 13" wheel to wheel, making it awesome sitting in a ground blind or two man stand with my kids. It's been 100% trouble free, my daughter has killed several deer with it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got started in crossbows using recurves, and I've stuck with them. I'm currently in possession of 4 but plan on getting down to 2. Mine are all Excaliburs, and they've been problem free.

My newest and favorite is the Micro, and it's not the fastest but is crazy accurate.

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Tenpoint Turbo XLT II I sold this year only because I had a chance to buy I very expensive crossbow that had been shot only 4 times as a factory test gun and it was a heck of a deal. I had my Tenpoint for 3 years and never had a single problem out of it. It killed deer every year. Tenpoints customer service is top notch. I would bet if you have any problems they will be more than willing to help you out or point you in the right direction even on an older bow. I would say if the older Tenpoint is a good deal give it a try for the season then upgrade next year if you like crossbow hunting.

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was kind of my suspicion that the faster speeds on the super new bow didn't equate to quality. Kind of like how all of the budget rifles these days stress accuracy, accuracy, accuracy because that is pretty much the only thing offered.

So just one more general question and I know it all just depends upon this and that but what would be a decent price range for the Ten Point nowadays?

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Price for that used TL-7 could really depend on the accessories that come with it, but I would say $300 would be fair. ASSUMING it has some form of acu-draw unit attached to the stock. Just for comparison you can get this TenPoint made bow shooting 300fps shipped to your door for $399. Plus this dealer throws in 3 extra arrows, so 6 arrows total. Furthermore, you would have the factory warranty with it which you obviously don't get with a used bow.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=100&products_id=384

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 300 is about how much I figured from my research. Although this on does not come with an accudraw unfortunately. It comes with three bolts, three broadheads and a red dot.

Does this all seem like it'd be worth 275-300 with what is included or should I maybe just pass?

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I meant the bow doesn't include the accudraw so is it still worth a 275-300 dollars? Judging from the price of the accudraw by itself it is beginning to look like I'd be better off holding out for something else or maybe getting the newer model with the accudraw included along with the factory warranty and what not :/

Latest posts

Top Bottom