Tesla Solar Roof and Powerwalls for energy/fuel independence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in the outskirts of Phoenix, Arizona, a region with abundant sunshine. We can have years with many days over 100 degrees (had 144 in 2020), so dependable power to stay cool is critical. We currently have one EV (a Tesla Model Y) and will probably add 1 or 2 more Tesla EVs in the next year or so, while keeping my V8 SUV for trips to our places in Oklahoma (hunting) and Kansas (family farms).

Hanging out here, reading about energy independence, off-grid cabins, and such prompts me to consider going all-in on solar power. If scaled big enough, I could keep the AC as low as I liked, food frozen, and not have to worry about gas station lines after SHTF events, etc. I should be getting a bid in a week or so, for a solar roof (about 25 kW) and 5 Powerwalls (68 kWh). Assuming monthly electricity costs of $600, I may never break even, but things like increased home equity, and grid independence could make that more bearable. We'd buy, not lease; AFAIK, Tesla does not lease their energy systems. Our house is basically paid off, we can sell any extra power to the Salt River Project, and state law prevents the HOA from not approving a solar energy project.

What say ye? Crazy or not?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal opinion based on outdated numbers from when we built our barn in 2017 is that you’re not really going to save money or ever break even, but I do like the idea of being energy independent.
I’m considering two home improvement projects right now, and the first is a water well with a solar system being the other. Neither make financial sense, but it would put us really close to being totally self sustained.

Edit to add…Our community water bill runs about $600-700/ year, and a water well is probably going to cost $20-25k in my area. Our yearly electric bill runs $2000-2500, and the last time I priced a solar system (2017) it was going to $20-25k also.

Last edited:

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would NOT recommend installing the solar panels on the roof.

There's a growing issue with insurance companies dropping customers with solar panels on the roof. (Insurance sees extra expenses for roof replacement)

I don't think there's a problem if the panels are installed on a pergola, separate from the house. (Like a nice shaded deck.)

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My personal opinion based on outdated numbers from when we built our barn in 2017 is that you’re not really going to save money or ever break even, but I do like the idea of being energy independent.
I’m considering two home improvement projects right now, and the first is a water well with a solar system being the other. Neither make financial sense, but it would put us really close to being totally self sustained.

Edit to add…Our community water bill runs about $600-700/ year, and a water well is probably going to cost $20-25k in my area. Our yearly electric bill runs $2000-2500, and the last time I priced a solar system (2017) it was going to $20-25k also.
Thanks for the input! You nailed it - security and independence are the more important than saving money.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would NOT recommend installing the solar panels on the roof.

There's a growing issue with insurance companies dropping customers with solar panels on the roof. (Insurance sees extra expenses for roof replacement)

I don't think there's a problem if the panels are installed on a pergola, separate from the house. (Like a nice shaded deck.)
Thanks for the input Pjackso;

I should have defined what a Tesla solar roof is. They use energy-generating shingles made with very tough glass, not solar panels, that replace the roof. Right now I have concrete tiles; in 2016 we had to have half of them removed to replace the tar paper and some rotten wood; that cost $21K. I suspect the other half will eventually need done.

Here are internet photos of what I'm talking about; 5 batteries like the two below, and the solar roof tiles/shingles.

If I go for it, I'll have to provide an update.

Thanks again!

shutterstock_2015851994.jpg

Tesla-Solar-Shingles-Roofing-Texas-detail-1.jpg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what i have read and been told adding solar doesnt increase the home equity and sometimes it even decreases it so i would do some checking around and it might well be different depending on where you live also, cause i was looking into it since where im wanting to build at is 1/4 mi off the road and was going to cost around $50k just to get power to the house, and that is putting it underground and me digging the ditch.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what i have read and been told adding solar doesnt increase the home equity and sometimes it even decreases it so i would do some checking around and it might well be different depending on where you live also, cause i was looking into it since where im wanting to build at is 1/4 mi off the road and was going to cost around $50k just to get power to the house, and that is putting it underground and me digging the ditch.
Hope you figure out the best situation for your place. I'll see what I can find about solar adding or subtracting value to a home in Phoenix; AKA "The Valley of the Sun". I'm guessing selling a house here with no electricity bills might be easier than average.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like when I was reading about solar hurting some home values it was when they had signed long term leases for the system and were therefore obligating the new owner to hefty long term payments. I wouldn't think owned systems would hurt.

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Michigan, my best friend just built a house with solar.
36 panel array, fixed, Southern facing.
He was "off grid" all last Summer, buying some in the Winter.
Buy more panels. (Or "shingles").
Consider vertical panels.
Buy more storage.
Don't count on electric rates staying the same, or electric companies buying "excess" at good rates, or at all.
He owns a Model 3.
Currently, at current rates and usage, he expects to break even in twelve to fifteen years.
He most values ****-off independence.

Joe

Latest posts

Top Bottom