Thats a lot of meat. . . .In the smoker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured if I continued in the other post it would get moved here so why not get a jump on things.

fire lit nice an early this morning. Brisket hit the smoker at 7:30 with the babies just ten minutes later.

ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_0499.jpg

ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_0502.jpg

ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_0503.jpg

ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_0504.jpg

Still need the vertical smoker to get back to temp. it sat at a perfet 220 before I added the brisket. On the offset smoker I'm trying a new heat baffle setup. at first I was getting only a 10 degree spread between both sides of the smoker. Unfortunatley I was left with a hotter than needed fire.

I think I'll pull some bricks out from under the heat baffle and punch some bigger holes in it after this round of smoking. Should allow for better heat transfer and still have enough heat sinks to allow the temp to come back up quicker once the door is closed.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_0509.jpg

ai258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_0527.jpg

Ribs turned out perfect. Notice the section missing from one of the racks of babybacks. it fell off and was subsequently eaten.

The brisket was so moist when I pulled it out of the foil. I pulled it from the smoker at 180 degrees and wrapped it in foil. It stayed in the oven(off) for two hours. I sliced it up and it was so stinking juicy.

I had the brisket in a veritcal smoker. It was free but not the easiest to replace the wood chips without loosing all the heat. So I only changed the chips once mid way. This would explain the lack of defined smoke ring.

We shall enjoy tomorrow afternoon.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you add a piece or two of Kingsford charcoal with your wood chunks it will develop a smoke ring. Learned that trick from the Cook Shack forums.

Yup I saw that too. Tried it. Did nothing. But it was a short smoke, probably on some ribs, I'll give it another shot on a 20+ hour brisket run and see what happens.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Low and slow to get the ring.:wave:

Just how low do you have to go? I do my briskets at 225 and like SmokinOkie over on the Cookshack forum says, "it's done when it's done". I've had several go over 20 hours, I usually pull them at around 190 degrees internal. Depends on what the fork says.

Then I separate the deckle, add more rub, put on some sauce and put it back in and go to over 200. I just love me some burnt ends. :spaghetti:

So Dan, are you still with us, or did you die from bliss? So, how was it already?

Latest posts

Top Bottom