The "BEST" 30-06??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read an article a couple years ago in Field and Stream, I think, where they were comparing rifling wear in different calibers. I think it said that the 30-06 and the 30-30 were the easiest on rifling, can't remember why. I'll have to see if I can find that article again because I was really surprised at how fast the rifling wears out on many common rifle calibers.

In the Sierra reloading manual they describe barrel life in terms of pounds powder burned instead of the number of projectiles fired.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mine has an even better sight system :)

ai264.photobucket.com_albums_ii182_bt223_1903A4004.jpg

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eh, I'd argue that the more rear-mounted peep sight on an 03A3 makes it easier to shoot, and more accurate, than the ladder sight set further up on the receiver of an 03. To each his or her own :)
1903A3 definitely has a better sight system.

I'll agree that 03A3 has a very nice battle sight and 1903 has confusing ladder/flip-up sight system; but one of the 5 choices on 1903 is a peep, that is IMHO target grade.

[Broken External Image]

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would the original question is a matter of perspective. I have had a great deal of success with a plain old Remington 700. It really depends on how much you practice, do you reload or buy factory?, Do you have a good quality optic?. The results are subjective at best. You have to find out what works best for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom