The "BEST" 30-06??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a 742 with all the engraving & scope for $375. Is that a fair price? The gun looked very solid, no rust, no major dings in the stock.
The 742 isn't a good idea. They have a problem with eating up the top of the receiver where the bolt rides it, there are no parts available, and the only way to detail strip one for a good cleaning is to remove the barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if it is for competition, .30-06 usually isn't the first choice of cartridge.

Hmmm, I seem the remember reading in my Sierra Manual that the 30-06 was king of the 1000yd matches at Camp perry for many years.
Granted, thats been a few years back.
BTW, I shoot a Browning Stainless stalker in 30-06

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best???? Well I think rather highly of these!!!!
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN2205.jpg

I'd have to agree with that. Nice weapons!

I am still partial to the Model 70 though also.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
03A3 is good, but it's a "cheaper" version of 1903 - which makes 1903 the "BEST".:thumbup3:

Eh, I'd argue that the more rear-mounted peep sight on an 03A3 makes it easier to shoot, and more accurate, than the ladder sight set further up on the receiver of an 03. To each his or her own :)

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 742 isn't a good idea. They have a problem with eating up the top of the receiver where the bolt rides it, there are no parts available, and the only way to detail strip one for a good cleaning is to remove the barrel.

That's what it was, I was trying to remember. It's because the receiver is made of a softer metal than the bolt right?

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, I seem the remember reading in my Sierra Manual that the 30-06 was king of the 1000yd matches at Camp perry for many years.
Granted, thats been a few years back.
BTW, I shoot a Browning Stainless stalker in 30-06

I said usually. And I believe at Camp Perry you have to use American service rifles which would greatly limit your options. I love the '06. I have it in an 03A3 and a Savage 111. It has an incredible history and can just about do it all. There are just more effiecient cartridges for most match types.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read an article a couple years ago in Field and Stream, I think, where they were comparing rifling wear in different calibers. I think it said that the 30-06 and the 30-30 were the easiest on rifling, can't remember why. I'll have to see if I can find that article again because I was really surprised at how fast the rifling wears out on many common rifle calibers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom