Best AR for the money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Also to add my buddy i shoot with who i learned a lot from and shoot with a couple times a month.. was in 21years and all over the world.. was issued a Bushmaster which to me is a cheap gun.
Your buddy was issued a Bushmaster while in the military? Or was he 5-O?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new_BS_flag.png

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I get confused on. The actual lower, not including LPK, seems like it doesn’t matter if you milled it yourself, got an Anderson, or got a Larue.
WRT forged lowers, what does not matter is what forge they came from. What does matter is who does the machining and finishing into a final product. A lot of companies out there just kinda copy the specs from a known mil-spec lower (like Colt or FN) and set up their machines by that. This was a big thing in the early 2000's when all the AR companies started up. You'd get some lower that was all out of spec and was a total POS and some that were really good. Out of all that, not counting USG contractors, you now have what I call the survivors...PSA, Poverty Pony, Del-ton, etc. There are still junker rifles out theres but most everyone knows them by now. When PSA first started, they sucked ass. My buddy drove down to SC and got one and brought it back and it ran like a glass filled turd. He took it back and got his money back. However, they, like Anderson and others, listened to feedback and fixed all their sh*t.

So:
The lowers matter if they are machined to "mil-spec". Mil-spec doesn't mean just peening MPT on the bolt or stamping some cage code on the barrel or other things. It's an actual specification in the TDP (Technical Data Package) that's owned by the USG. The TDP covers everything from dimensions, materials allowed, to the type of finish allowed. Any company that makes M16 (USG) Series rifles will have the TDP. Some get the TDP if they are OEM suppliers. Some companies get the TDP when they are competing for a government contract. If they don't get an award, they have to give the TDP (it's USG property) but by then, they already have the "mil-spec". Same goes with the LPKs. Most OEM providers parts are 100%interchangeable with Colt/FN or any USG M16/M4. DPMS, Del-ton, and Luth AR (used to own DPMS) make OEM parts. All these companies that make "mil-spec" ARs, will probably get their parts from one of these. Even Colt and FN. Colt and FN will have specific contracts with requirements for their parts, so they'll be more spendy.

I could see the LPK obviously affecting performance. But take down pins and trigger guard? I don’t see how.
A non-spec take down or pivot pin will wreak havoc on a build...either can't fit it or too loose. A sh*t spec lower can have issues with fitting in-spec parts.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a PSA, Poverty Poyt, Del-ton, DPMS or any other in-spec lower. They all run great. Where you see a lot of differences is in fit and finish. That's a whole other paragraph there.
I will tell you, one of the most underrated ARs out there is Del-ton.
The only Poverty Pony parts I use are their receivers and gas blocks and ambi safeties. I don't like anything else they have.
PSA makes good stuff now and they have pretty much bought all their suppliers so they can control everything including pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom