The essential aftermarket watch strap thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure its about time to add a topic where we can discuss, recommend, and review aftermarket watch straps.

If you've received a new watch strap and want to share photos or a review of it with the rest of the group, post it here.

If you're in need of suggestions or recommendations for a watch/ strap pairing, post it here.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll get us started with a recent purchase...

The Watch Steward G series strap, shown in the photos below, arrived yesterday. This is my first strap from TWS. TWS offers three different strap material options; nylon, poly, and TDM. This one is nylon, the heaviest duty construction option of the three. The G series refers to the G hook hardware which is removable and allows for a tool-less installation or installation on cases with fixed bars.

Similar to a Nick Mankey strap, there is no material under the case to add to the wearing height. The downside to this design, with a non-sewn G hook, is that there are two layers of webbing on the female side of the strap and three layers on the male (hook) side due to the tail of the excess webbing on the backside of the G hook (which can be trimmed off if needed). The webbing is fairly thin though, so the strap isn't bulky, even with the stacked layers.

The strap isn’t perfect, but its a bargain considering that it's the same cost as a supreme NATO from Crown and Buckle, half the cost of a Nick Mankey strap, and a quarter the cost of an Erika's Originals strap. My biggest criticism is the hardware. I wish that the G hooks were more nicely finished and that the retaining shoulder on the hook was cut just a bit deeper. The hook is 316L stainless with a tumbled finish. Just bead blasting or brushing the finish would be a noticeable improvement. Tumbled finish doesn’t match most case finishes and looks a bit cheap. I brushed the finish on this hook to make it a little better match to the case.

For $24.99 + shipping and only a two day turnaround before shipping, it's a winner. Compare that turnaround time to Erika's straps which are 1-2 weeks + international shipping and Nick Mankey straps which typically take 12-14+ weeks before shipping.

https://www.thewatchsteward.com/

20240619_161648.jpg

20240619_161740.jpg

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'll get us started with a recent purchase...

The Watch Steward G series strap, shown in the photos below, arrived yesterday. This is my first strap from TWS. TWS offers three different strap material options; nylon, poly, and TDM. This one is nylon, the heaviest duty construction option of the three. The G series refers to the G hook hardware which is removable and allows for a tool-less installation or installation on cases with fixed bars.

Similar to a Nick Mankey strap, there is no material under the case to add to the wearing height. The downside to this design, with a non-sewn H hook, is that there are two layers of webbing on the female side of the strap and three layers on the male (hook) side due to the tail of the excess webbing on the backside of the G hook (which can be trimmed off if needed). The webbing is fairly thin though, so the strap isn't bulky, even with the stacked layers.

The strap isn’t perfect, but its a bargain considering that it's the same cost as a supreme NATO from Crown and Buckle, half the cost of a Nick Mankey strap, and a quarter the cost of an Erika's Originals strap. My biggest criticism is the hardware. I wish that the G hooks were more nicely finished and that the retaining shoulder on the hook was cut just a bit deeper. The hook is 316L stainless with a tumbled finish. Just bead blasting or brushing the finish would make a difference. Tumbled finish doesn’t match most case finishes and looks a bit cheap. I brushed the finish on this hook to make it a little better match the case.

For $24.99 + shipping and only a two day turnaround before shipping, it's a winner. Compare that turnaround time to Erika's straps which are 1-2 weeks + international shipping and Nick Mankey straps which typically take 12-14+ weeks.

https://www.thewatchsteward.com/

View attachment 488043

View attachment 488044
That watch and strap combo is great looking together

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll update my post with pics later, but I put a Fullmosa stainless band on my Casio Duro and people mistake it for a Rolex. Good quality, has held up well, its my pool/lake watch as well as daily sometimes. Same for the leather band I got to put on my apple watch when I want to dress it up a little. Also have a Barton that has been solid. It was my second canvas strap, and I think anyone that doesn't like a canvas or NATO strap just hasn't used a quality one. Night and day difference between it and my first. Glad I gave canvas straps a second try. I also like Ritchie straps, although the only one I have is a rubber strap for my Luminox. Again, night and day difference, I would say its better quality than the original band, at a fraction of the cost.

Attachments

• IMG_4637.jpeg
    IMG_4637.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

I'll update my post with pics later, but I put a Fullmosa stainless band on my Casio Duro and people mistake it for a Rolex. Good quality, has held up well, its my pool/lake watch as well as daily sometimes. Same for the leather band I got to put on my apple watch when I want to dress it up a little. Also have a Barton that has been solid. It was my second canvas strap, and I think anyone that doesn't like a canvas or NATO strap just hasn't used a quality one. Night and day difference between it and my first. Glad I gave canvas straps a second try. I also like Ritchie straps, although the only one I have is a rubber strap for my Luminox. Again, night and day difference, I would say its better quality than the original band, at a fraction of the cost.
Funny, I’ve had people mistake my Duro for a Rolex.
Lucas, I ordered a ‘minimalist’ in nylon for my Seamaster

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool thread. I recently got this Veblenist strap and put it on the RW. The model is called 'Roka'. Really good quality. They are one of two strap companies I'll order from who offer XL length sizes. They are made to order, so it takes a week or two before they ship.

1718850768476.png

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer a bracelet, but my arms swells in the summer and contracts in the winter. Unless that bracelet has a diver's release buckle to give a little extra, it's a PITA. Plus I absolutely HATE the way it slides around and rotates on me wrist.

Because of that, I did a little research and discovered WOCCI watchbands from Amazon. They are made of fluoro rubber and feel great. If it's a little tight, back it off one. If it's a little loose, cinch it up.

They are heavily vented and they lay flat when you take it off. They feel great, have quick release springbars and are only 20 bucks or less.

20240620_120740.jpg

20240620_120735.jpg

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer a bracelet, but my arms swells in the summer and contracts in the winter. Unless that bracelet has a diver's release buckle to give a little extra, it's a PITA. Plus I absolutely HATE the way it slides around and rotates on me wrist.

Because of that, I did a little research and discovered WOCCI watchbands from Amazon. They are made of fluoro rubber and feel great. If it's a little tight, back it off one. If it's a little loose, cinch it up.

They are heavily vented and they lay flat when you take it off. They feel great, have quick release springbars and are only 20 bucks or less.

View attachment 488189
View attachment 488190
You swell up, get that not so fresh feeling, you hate men. What are you trying to tell us Evan?

Latest posts

Top Bottom