The "Heat Index" is just not a good measure of how the day feels temperature wise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They really need to come up with something better.

I just came back from a week in South Florida. Spent most of the time outdoors with around 90 degree temps with about 75 dewpoint. It is heavy and oppressive. "Heat Index was about around 100-102.

I went to the range for several hours today in Oklahoma. It was 100 with about 65 dewpoint. Much more pleasant. Even though the "heat index" was about 104.

I will take a much higher temp with a lower dewpoint over a lower temp with a higher dewpoint even though the "heat index" is about the same.

The way it feels is very different.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What will really bake your noodle is the time of day change. In the mid-morning, as it heats up, it can be 95° in Lawton with a 110° index... but by the time we hit 105° in the heat of the day, the index will fall to 103° as it dries out. It's technically cooler to mow in the heat of the day rather than the morning.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Direct sunlight, bright sunlight, provided solar heat, that makes it especially hot.

A 100 degree day in the full sunlight is "hotter" than100 degrees overcast cloudy.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed this year, Mike Morgan, has a habit of saying the temperature shown on the map, is taken in the shade. In a little box with vents. He's said this often. First time I remember any weather-caster saying such.

Latest posts

Top Bottom