The increased cost of vehicle maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to have cooling system serviced on my GMC Sierra. Radiator flush, thermostat, upper & lower hoses and heater hoses.
A reputable shop that has a good track record of customer satisfaction.
Their cost quote. $1997.50
Uhhh nope. I can do the work myself
I have new shocks, struts, brake pads and alignment scheduled at my tire dealer Monday.
Any guesses on how much that might be?
I figured on at least $1000 and have more set aside.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most good shops are charging $100+ per hour now. Also the shops I know are having to pad the quotes more to cover the added labor cost of warranty repairs with the current supply of replacement parts (all brands seem to be affected) simultaneously being more expensive and yet being poor quality and having much higher failure rates than in the past.

Also consider that the newer the vehicle the more reliant it is on computers and the more the diagnostic tools and replacement parts cost. Also, they are a lot more sensitive to any kind of change and can (and will) freak the computer out at the slightest impulse. Then time has to be spent to coax it back into happiness.

That being said. I got both complete heads (valves and all), timing chain, water pump, plugs, and wires, etc.. replaced and the throttle body rebuilt on my Chevy '94 K2500 350 and it cost me just over $3,500.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom