The increased cost of vehicle maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about cheaper to just buy a new one. 😎
I paid $34k out the door for my 2011 F250 and paid it off 11 years ago. It’s currently got a little over 229k on it, and I would trust it on a cross country road trip today. I recently had to get cab mount bushings replaced again and a couple AC hoses replaced, and I believe I’ll be way ahead money wise to pay for repairs than buy another truck. There’s a member on here that’s buying a truck now similarly equipped to mine, and it’s costing him almost double what I paid 13 years ago. Mine is known quantity truck, and who knows if you might get a lemon off the lot.:anyone:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL. I do have it figured out. Bothers you doesn’t it Snoopy. Dealerships make enough money off of uneducated suckers like you. When a guy like me slips through the cracks, they rarely pay attention, because even if they don’t make a dime, I’m one more sale to pad their monthly stats. Now go mow your lawn Snoopy while I look lovingly at the new Infinity I bought.
I didn't read all the details, but your path to wealth is renting apartments and leasing cars?

GaryOkie

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, if you know anything about dealerships they will always get their money. People that say otherwise for more than one crazy random deal probably are looking at the numbers incorrectly. Also a new infiniti is a high depreciation vehicle. I wonder if he's just leaving out the monthly lease payments.
Dude! I’m talking about Infinity the handgun…..2011. Just read.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I buy a car it is cheap.
Usually a junker that needs fixed and I fix it and drive it until someone buys it from me for more money than I have invested in it.

To me that is the only way to come out ahead and not lose any money on buying a car.
I have been offered OVER $30,000 more than my out of pocket for my old truck. I have $4,500 into.

During the pandemic many people sold vehicles for more than they bought them for that is a win.
Anytime you sell a vehicle for less than you have in it you lost money.

I DO NOT care what the book worth value is as that is made up crap to make people feel good about going in the hole.

In order to say a good investment is there you must make more $$$ than you spent.

I have only lost $1200 on a vehicle in my life and that was a 1976 Corvette I sold to a friend.
Sold it for what I paid and tossed in 1200 worth of interior parts.

He still has it with tunnel-ram sticking out of the hood with 2 600cfm carbs on it :)

GaryOkie

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
When I buy a car it is cheap.
Usually a junker that needs fixed and I fix it and drive it until someone buys it from me for more money than I have invested in it.

To me that is the only way to come out ahead and not lose any money on buying a car.
I have been offered OVER $30,000 more than my out of pocket for my old truck. I have $4,500 into.

During the pandemic many people sold vehicles for more than they bought them for that is a win.
Anytime you sell a vehicle for less than you have in it you lost money.

I DO NOT care what the book worth value is as that is made up crap to make people feel good about going in the hole.

In order to say a good investment is there you must make more $$$ than you spent.

I have only lost $1200 on a vehicle in my life and that was a 1976 Corvette I sold to a friend.
Sold it for what I paid and tossed in 1200 worth of interior parts.

He still has it with tunnel-ram sticking out of the hood with 2 600cfm carbs on it :)
Hey if you can fix cars that good on ya. Most people can’t or don’t want to.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, nope and nope. No gamble at all. I know exactly how much I’m going to pay for the car and exactly what I’m going to make. That’s why I told you I’m not giving you anymore info. This isn’t a class and I don’t need competition, but thanks for playing. Giving you advice on what I buy and how to come out ahead would do nothing for me. People don’t lease because they don’t know how and they get taken advantage of. Same with any car really. Leases are actually much easier, but you still have to know what you’re doing.
I think I understand. You are not including your monthly lease payment in the equation as well as putting almost no miles on the vehicle. So when you sell it, you see it as making money. Correct?

Latest posts

Top Bottom