The media is digging deep- Nixon wanted all guns banned

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL. Ya I've seen a bunch of these reports in the media too... reaching pretty far.

One thing to keep in mind about this, if it really was something Nixon said, is that during the late 60's and early 70's timeframe, gun control was a popular thing among politicians. After all, there were several assassinations in the years prior including JFK, RFK and MLK Jr. and the gun control act of 1968 was a direct result of those events and the mood of the time.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Presidents supporting gun control\restrictions is not a new concept.
Here's Reagan supporting the Brady Bill: http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Reagan signed the Firearm Owners Protection Act, which banned fully automatic weapons (existing ones were grandfathered, of course)
Reagan, along with Ford and Carter, signed a letter to congress that included this: To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives: We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety.

Ford wanted to ban certain firearms: I had always opposed federal registration of guns or the licensing of gun owners, and as President, I hadn't changed my views. At the same time, I recognized that handguns had played a key role in the increase of violent crime. Not all handguns-just those that hadn't been designed for sporting purposes. I asked Congress to ban the manufacture and sale of these "Saturday night specials."

Bush (the second) on background checks: I don’t think we ought to be selling guns to people who shouldn’t have them. That’s why I support instant background checks at gun shows. There’s a lot of talk about trigger locks being on guns sold in the future, I support that, and so we’re distributing them in our state of Texas for free.

And of course, Clinton signed the AWB.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL. Ya I've seen a bunch of these reports in the media too... reaching pretty far.

One thing to keep in mind about this, if it really was something Nixon said, is that during the late 60's and early 70's timeframe, gun control was a popular thing among politicians. After all, there were several assassinations in the years prior including JFK, RFK and MLK Jr. and the gun control act of 1968 was a direct result of those events and the mood of the time.

Proof! Proof, I tell you! Having a name starting in "K" leads to gun violence!

Ban the letter K!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"No hunters are going to use $20 guns," Nixon countered.

Just another case of an idiot politician not knowing the 2nd ammendment he is sworn to protect.

I served in the military during his term. You won't get any kudu's about his term from me. Sorry POS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom