The new toy: 338 Win Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother and I decided to go in halves on a medium bore rifle. He found a good deal on a Browning A-Bolt 338 Win mag with a 3-9 Bushnell already on it. He bought it and took it out this weekend. This was his first 5 shots at 50 yards as he was getting a feel for the rifle. It ended up being a little high at 200 so he had to move it down a little. He only shot it 13 times so he didn't get to really dial it in on the longer target to give me a good pic of a group. He said his shoulder didn't want a lot more than that.
Looks like it's gonna be a pretty straight shooter.
[Broken External Image]

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That gun should be left high at 200yds, which means it is probably zeroed for 300yds. This is where I start for my elk rifles in 300WM. Usually 3.4" high at 100 = DCB at 300. If you zero it for 100yds, you might be under utilizing the caliber. jmo

Regardless, nice find!! If you want a little less "shoulder music" look into a good muzzle break. All the difference in the world when you add a MB.

okie2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That gun should be left high at 200yds, which means it is probably zeroed for 300yds. This is where I start for my elk rifles in 300WM. Usually 3.4" high at 100 = DCB at 300. If you zero it for 100yds, you might be under utilizing the caliber. jmo

Regardless, nice find!! If you want a little less "shoulder music" look into a good muzzle break. All the difference in the world when you add a MB.

check all the calibers you shoot on a ballistic program zeroed at 300 it will suprise you how good it is not to zero at 100.
and check the point blank range too.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a little update. He did leave it a little high at 200, just not as high as it was. Anyway, he's been up in Worland, WY since he bought it, so I haven't even got to shoot it yet. He has taken it hunting quite a bit. He has killed 2 whitetails and 2 antelope. His longest kill was 270-something yards. The gun has 7 kills by 4 different hunters. The latest was one of the safety guys from his job. An old ex-marine, killed a whietail doe at 340 yards. One shot, one kill. My brother said it is a devastating gun. He calls it The Toaster. He said everything he has pulled the trigger on has been toast. LOL!!

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

The problem with a break is it's way LOUD,better to put a good recoil pad (like a Sims Limdsaver) on it.I put one on my Model 70 375 H&H and it made a difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom