The S&W M76 The forgotten great 9mm SMG.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing like the MP 40. A direct copy almost to the T of a Swedish K. Our department had 5 when I first started. Chief traded them 1-1 for Remington 870’s….

No one ever said that Chiefs were smart! A transferable 76 is now probably worth $50 k plus. Owned a K for awhile, sold it for stupid money as it was transferable.

The K was maybe a little better made, but not a whole lot. I saw racks of the K’s at Ft. Bragg. It was popular with the SF guys back then. Even got to shoot one of the suppressed ones while there.

Regards,

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Photo added.

Attachments

• 4E7BADFA-70E1-4866-B8E3-289C4AA0C9EC.jpeg
    4E7BADFA-70E1-4866-B8E3-289C4AA0C9EC.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The original design was the Egyptian Port Said followed by the Carl Gustav then to the S&W 76 who finally gave it up and it became the MK760.

The weakest point was at the rear of the receiver. If the metal wasn’t properly heated and an effective buffer used, the repeated banging of the bolt to the rear diassembly pin would oval the receiver to the point the pin would not stay in place or complete failure with the bolt hitting you in the face.

Another flaw was the magazines and mag well. Don’t ever hold it by the magazine when firing. It will jam.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It kinda reminds me of the old .45 caliber Grease Gun that fires on the open bolt. We had one at the sheriff's office. Slow, slow, slow rate of fire and hevy as a bastard. Hell, Jerry Miculek could fire his 8 shot revolver quicker than that damned thing at full throttle.

But it was a helluva lotta fun to shoot!

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience with the Smith 76, they are a decent fun to shoot gun. Parts and magazines can be difficult to find. I've never seen one with welds that looked as bad as the one posted earlier.

The part that I do not care for on the Smith 76 is the stock. They do not have a true latch, that is if you apply too much pressure while shooting the stock will fold. Second, the coating on the top of the stock(cheek rest area) comes off fairly easy. But I'm sure that is probably due to the age of these guns. I would definitely prefer one of these over any version of MAC.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It kinda reminds me of the old .45 caliber Grease Gun that fires on the open bolt. We had one at the sheriff's office. Slow, slow, slow rate of fire and hevy as a bastard. Hell, Jerry Miculek could fire his 8 shot revolver quicker than that damned thing at full throttle.

But it was a helluva lotta fun to shoot!
Yep, I got to play with Oklahoma county’s select fire sub guns, I loved that grease gun, it was easy to fire one, two, or three round bursts, and I got to shoot their whammo.
Didn’t care for the 76, low quality and had feed issues, tried multiple brands of ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom