The safety bullet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like it.

I think people get too reliant on gadgets to where they start getting lax on their own safety practices. (That's a generalization and doesn't include everyone of course).

I prefer to rely on myself for safety.

If someone has others in the house to worry about, then the gun owner has even more responsibility; but ultimately, safety lies with the person.

Granted, I have no kids in the house; and my wife has her own guns; so I understand someone who has a more populated house than I do looking at more safety options.

These type of things work fine for some people, just not me.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should also say a little more, I don't want to be one to curse the darkness when I could light a candle instead.

I have and use a fingerpad operated safe by my bedside to keep the kids curiosity down. At night, when I go so sleep, I do remove it from the safe and keep it on top the chest hidden by the front and side trim. None of my kids could ever reach it without extreme measures, and they don't even know that I put it there while I'm sleeping. I can reach it and have it in my hand in a matter of seconds. Upon waking, it goes back in the fingerpad guarded safe.

I also have instructed each one of my kids on gun safety and to stay away from a seen gun and get an adult. They are not scared to death, they are just informed, know what the consequenses could be and safer because of it.

I honestly believe that the "safety bullet" not only is not effective, but poses a risk for all the factors I named before.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You want a safety bullet??!! Then get out there and train your kids to shoot, teach and drill in safety rules, take all of the curiosity out of the gun, to where they see it as a tool, not something to play with. Constant training, and drilling with the firearm is the only proven way to stop ND's by family members. Those who have shot with my son and I should know he's only 13, been shooting since he was 5yrs old. Even so I still focus on his training, and safety drill's. My daughter is soon to be 11yrs old, and has gone through the same type training. She doesn't shoot that often, but does enjoy a day shooting steel poppers. Main thing is she knows the rules, and since both have been around firearms since they were old enough to know what they are, the curiosity is gone. Now all my guns stay in the safe except for the ones I'm carrying, and my shotgun, niether have any desire to touch or hold them, and both will ask to see their guns from time to time, mostly to tear it down and clean it. My son does like to do dryfire drill's, but only under my supervision.

Thats the best advise I can give, teach, teach, teach, and followup with questions of proper safety. Hiding the guns only makes them more curious about what it is. Yes I understand peer preasure, and with my son I have no worries there, he's learned more about firearms than some adults I know, and thinks all his friends are idiots at school when he tells them shooting is a sport. My daughters friends just look at her wierd when she tells them she has her own rifle and pistol, and goes shoot with her dad.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
With as much as we see on TV, that everytime someone picks up a gun (even LE), they have to rack the slide, you would have to have at least two, one in the chamber and one following it.

IMO, if it's not a carry, or other SD weapon, unload and secure it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom