The short list for SC nominees.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some things to keep in mind:

1. There's a fairly good chance that the senate could flip to the democrats after the election. (Senate majority leader Schumer)

34 senate seats are up for election. 10 democrats, 24 republicans

800px-Competitive_2016_Senate_seats.png

Competitive Democratic-held seat
Competitive Republican-held seat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2016

Even if someone like Trump or Cruz won, a democratic senate could respond by blocking his nominee the same as Obama's.

2. There's no way to know who the next POTUS is.

If Obama was to nominate someone even remotely acceptable it might be best to ahead and take the safe route of confirmation rather than risk
an aggressively liberal justice nominated by Hillary or Bernie or Biden and confirmed by a democratic senate.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some things to keep in mind:

1. There's a fairly good chance that the senate could flip to the democrats after the election. (Senate majority leader Schumer)

34 senate seats are up for election. 10 democrats, 24 republicans

800px-Competitive_2016_Senate_seats.png

Competitive Democratic-held seat
Competitive Republican-held seat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2016

Even if someone like Trump or Cruz won, a democratic senate could respond by blocking his nominee the same as Obama's.

2. There's no way to know who the next POTUS is.

If Obama was to nominate someone even remotely acceptable it might be best to ahead and take the safe route of confirmation rather than risk
an aggressively liberal justice nominated by Hillary or Bernie or Biden and confirmed by a democratic senate.

This.

I believe that NPR also said that 6 or 7 GOP senate seats are in battleground states this year, which could mean a higher than normal turnout.

Seems like the surest way to not see Obama as a SC justice (at least for this seat) would be to confirm someone before he leaves office.

The other issue is the political math that the GOP risks running afoul of. There are many candidates out there that sailed through senate confirmation for lower court positions (several that Rubio and Cruz voted for, IIRC). I think they (and the GOP) would be in a tough spot to deny a person it previously voted to overwhelmingly confirm, especially if the person is a minority.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the capitulation in this thread is any indication, we don't have much time left as a country.

What if Ginsberg croaks off or just decides to retire and get some rest? Do we go ahead and confirm Obama's pick for her too just so we don't piss off too many voters? It's an honest question because it could damn sure happen. We might as well just go ahead and have Roberts swear Obama in, because it will keep at least a couple of a-holes from getting too loud.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the capitulation in this thread is any indication, we don't have much time left as a country.

What if Ginsberg croaks off or just decides to retire and get some rest? Do we go ahead and confirm Obama's pick for her too just so we don't piss off too many voters? It's an honest question because it could damn sure happen. We might as well just go ahead and have Roberts swear Obama in, because it will keep at least a couple of a-holes from getting too loud.

You've made it clear before that you view any bipartisan work as bad, so i guess i'm curious to know what you view as the best outcome here. It would be easy to say 'wait for the Rs to keep the senate and take the white house' but are you willing to gamble on it?

Are willing to risk an ultra liberal justice (or Obama himself) taking the bench if the senate and white house go Democrat in November.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've made it clear before that you view any bipartisan work as bad, so i guess i'm curious to know what you view as the best outcome here. It would be easy to say 'wait for the Rs to keep the senate and take the white house' but are you willing to gamble on it?

Are willing to risk an ultra liberal justice (or Obama himself) taking the bench if the senate and white house go Democrat in November.

Yes I am willing to risk SCOTUS to an ultra liberal appointee. Reason being is that I don't think it will happen. And if it does happen, it's just another rung on the ladder of letting the liberals get what they want. We all know that what they want will end in failure and if that's the eventual outcome, let's get it over with already so whomever is left can rebuild...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, the capitulation in this thread is not acceptable to me either.
By that reasoning we should call off the election and give it to Bernie so we can accelerate this countries demise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom