thinking of buying a used 6.0 powerstroke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about dieseltech09. With that screen name it sounds like he is the man.

I sent you a PM but man I am so hooked up at work right now I really don't have much free time.We are trying to get a fleet of Frac pumps gone through and tuned up to send to West Virginia in a couple of weeks and have been working 12-14 hours everyday and I may be heading to Ohio for a few months after the first of the year so any free time I do have I am spending with the wife and kids. But if you will either PM me or just list on here the mods that have been done Ill tell you what else it may need or what to look for. One of the bigger things that most people don't think of on those trucks is voltage. Keep those batteries in tip top shape. You start getting weak batteries and it will toast the FICM quicker than anything. The FICM goes and you will start losing injectors. The main things on the 6.0 that need to be address. EGR Cooler, either delete or a bulletproof cooler. Upgraded oil cooler, head studs and new gaskets, black onyx is the best in my opinion. And an add on coolant filter. With those things done you shouldn't have any problems.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Head studs are optional in my opinion. My truck has zero head gasket problems with stock bolts and I've thrown all kinds of power at it. Obviously by looking at my sig I know a little about the 6.0

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I owned an '04 and '06 F350's with the 6.0 engine, and I put over 100k on each of them without a problem. Both were left bone stock. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't own a truck with that motor again. I wouldn't own a 6.4 either. My '09 needed two short blocks under 90k. Both my current Fords ('11 F250 and '12 F550) are gas burners.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I owned an '04 and '06 F350's with the 6.0 engine, and I put over 100k on each of them without a problem. Both were left bone stock. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't own a truck with that motor again. I wouldn't own a 6.4 either. My '09 needed two short blocks under 90k. Both my current Fords ('11 F250 and '12 F550) are gas burners.

I hope your 11 & 12 Fords that are gas burners are not v-10 gas engines...

The v-10's are worse than the 6.0 and 6.4 combined..

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had a 6.0, 6.4, & 7.3. Never again will I buy a ford truck.
The 6.6L duramax/Allison trucks ares where it's at. I love my gmc

Never had a cummins but if I did, I'd get the 5.9.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a 6.0, 6.4, & 7.3. Never again will I buy a ford truck.
The 6.6L duramax/Allison trucks ares where it's at. I love my gmc

Never had a cummins but if I did, I'd get the 5.9.

The Chevy/Gmc Duramax trucks are great everyday drivers with the occasional pulling of moderate to light heavy loads...

They do not hold up to heavy hauling and everyday abuse that the Super Duty will. I have a buddy that bent the frame on a Chevy Duramax dually pulling heavy loads with it.

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Dieseltech09. It is no biggie. What I know for sure is I have personally seen the receipt for 2 new heads(one was cracked so they told him might as well do both) head gaskets, head studs, all new injectors, coolant filter added, egr delete, new batteries, oil change, coolant flush, and other things I cant remember. Receipts almost added up to $17k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom