Time to Coat the Bottom of the Jon Boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, I'm done getting this riveted jon boat welded on. Every time I get it welded, another leak springs up. So, I've been reviewing options for coating the bottom of the boat with a bedliner type of material. I'm undecided as to which product to go with, hence this post. I'm considering:

steelflex : FASCO-Steelflex-Super-Slick-2000

GOOP Coat-it : link

Gluvit : link

Does anyone here have experience with any of these of these on aluminum boats? I do beach the boat consistently while hunting/bowfishing, but the lakes I frequent are primarily sand/mud bottoms.

I'm open to other options as well, but the above have stuck out in my research.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using aluminum solder sticks, the ones that were advertized on TV a few years ago. They do a good job. I have been using propane to heat them, I need to move to oxy-acetylene to get more heat. I am still in the process of filling holes made by previous owners, it is very time consuming.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let us know which one you use & how it works

Will do.

I have been using aluminum solder sticks, the ones that were advertized on TV a few years ago. They do a good job. I have been using propane to heat them, I need to move to oxy-acetylene to get more heat. I am still in the process of filling holes made by previous owners, it is very time consuming.

I'd considered doing this, but given all the welding I've already had done, putting a protective coating over the entire bottom of the boat seems to be more cost efficient and less time consuming at this point.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a recommendation to use the epoxy used on road markers to coat over the rivets on the bottom of the boat and use bedliner material on the interior. Any thoughts on this approach?

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Emergency patch for when I used to float Glover River and Mountain Fork in a jon boat was a small can of roofing tar, duct tape, and a putty knife to spread the tar. Turn the boat upside down in the sun to dy, the put duct tape over the hole and cover it with roofing tar, then turn the boat back over and set it in the water. The cold water makes the tar harden and it works very well.

Cedar (The Perch Whisperer) Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom