To port or not to port??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To port or not to port

• Port

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • not to port

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Don't do anything to it

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No to Port.
I fired a ported 357 at dusk one time and my vision had a yellow blurr for 5 hours. It was also twice as loud.
I you want to reduce felt recoil, get a good grip that fits your hand well. I go with the Hogue grips, they feel like they are made for me and always increase my accuracy.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 3" S&W681 with boot grips that is Quadraported and it's easier to handle than my pre 27 N frame with a 3 1/2" barrel. The upward muzzle flash is hardly noticeable compared to the cylinder gap flash and the fireball at the end of the barrel, esp. at night.

The Mag-na-port doesn't seem any louder than without (they advertize no increase in noise levels), unlike a muzzel brake which is alot louder with more blast.

I only have the 1 ported revolver and have had only good experiences with it.

I say port it

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Negative on the port. It will not increase the value of the gun, the flash at night will effect our follow-up shots and you don't get a time out from the BG to put hearing protection on. The flash and bang are the main reasons I got rid of my 357sig for home defense.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine purchased a little S&W with ports. 2 rows of 4. He thought it was so cool. I asked have you shot it yet? No so I told him go shoot off a few rounds at night and imagine you are shooting at a would be bad guy who begins moving quickly and you need to follow there movement.

Later he called me and said your right. After the first shot I had night blindness and had a spot in front of my eyes. He only shot it one time.

On the good side of porting is that when you shoot it the muzzle flash and the loud noise scare the crap out of people and they will go to running and trying to hide and such. As long as they don't shoot back.............

Latest posts

Top Bottom