To port or not to port??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To port or not to port

• Port

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • not to port

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Don't do anything to it

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok,
While conventional wisdom would say "no porting", I gotta be the oddball and say port that bad boy! Nothing says sexy like a 3" Magna-Ported K Frame. :)
I like the one-hole S&W Power Ports...but only because they are standard on a K-Comp.
:drool:

Wouldn't it be awesome to inhale a muzzle blast?!
Maybe...but it's suck to catch a chunk of Lead or powder in the eye.

Er....it actually *does* suck as I found out firsthand when I had to have one dug out.
There's nothing quite like having your eyelids held open by the claw-tipped Clockwork Orange eye vise while Dr. Mengele scrapes around your eyeball with Q-tips and long metal objects, then forces a spray nozzle back behind everything to blow it out with 120psi of extra-chlorinated salt water.....quite exhilarating

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Porting increases the muzzle blast significantly. If you have to fire without ear protection in a self defense situation the normal muzzle blast will be somewhat deafening - why increase it?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No port.
What are you hoping to achieve by porting?
The theory is that by porting, you reduce the amount of muzzle flip, and this seemingly will have the effect of reducing the felt (if not the actual) recoil.
It seems to work for me.
I sent my model 65 off to Mag-Na-Port more than twenty years ago, and I have never regretted it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A barrel should have only 2 holes, one in front and one in back.

And at the time that the breech-loaders came out, I bet there were some folks who said that a gun barrel should only have one hole--the one in front.
Just messing with you.
But seriously, as I have said here before, my experience with porting has been good and all of the negative comments do surprise me.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The theory is that by porting, you reduce the amount of muzzle flip, and this seemingly will have the effect of reducing the felt (if not the actual) recoil.
It seems to work for me.
I sent my model 65 off to Mag-Na-Port more than twenty years ago, and I have never regretted it.

I understand the theory but personally I don't see the need in a handgun.
Although I always use hearing protection when on the range, the trade off (sound v recoil) isn't worth it to me. Plus, .357 recoil isn't that punishing imo.
The only thing I don't like about my S&W 500 is the comp and IL. On it, a solid 4" barrel and no lock would be ideal.
Even on long guns, it's not desirable to me until you get into the magnum
.30's to .50 BMG class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom