Took my son to Silverleaf Shotgun Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
to a youth instructional shoot & outdoor day this morning which was hosted by Central Oklahoma Quail Forever organization. They covered firearms safety and divided into groups of similar experience and ages for some skeet shooting. There were approximately 50-60 kids there today and many volunteers. My son thoroughly enjoyed himself and broke a few clays the first time he had ever fired a shotgun. There were some crafts and several different exhibitions for dutch oven cooking and conservation as well as making a hummingbird feeder. Finished up with a cookout of hotdogs and hamburgers. I wanted to thank them for the quality community service and exposing some youth to shooting sports. There were many there that had never handled a firearm or had very limited firearms experience.

I figured several on the board may be members. Great group of people and well run organization. Check them out at http://www.centralokquailforever.org/

I brought a 12 and 20 for my boy and I to shoot some after the event but got rained out. He was pretty bummed but we will definitely be back there to bust some clays.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fun day! Those kids are what it is about! How old is your son?

He is 11. He's been deer hunting and has a 3030 and a 22 buckmark so he's well versed in gun handling but this was a first exposure to shotguns and skeet shooting. I have 60s model 20 gauge Winchester semi auto that my granddad gave to me before he died. It will be my boy's soon. He had a great time and the smile on his face was priceless. Especially when he did one of the best in his group of about 20. Made me a proud papa too. :D

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time! They have a small gauge clays course, targets are not extreme, slower, close, and great for young ones to start sporting clays on. Perfect for a young one and a 12g/20g to learn on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom