Tower maintenance (climbing a 1768 ft tall tower)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bud in Nashville works for a PA based contractor doing high tower work. They service lights mostly. Lyon's outfit only bids jobs 800 feet or higher.

Lyon probably clears $100-110K on a good year... but he works on the road the better part of 11 months every year.

I've been to the top of a 115 foot wooden pole structure in climbers and a linemans belt more than once... and that's high enough for me...

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, that's like zip-line nirvana!!!!

I don't thinks so Tim!

They guy wire angle is way too steep to zipline it.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2001-156/

Case 2

On December 8, 1998, a 21-year-old male tower erector died after sliding approximately 1,000 feet down a supporting guy wire. The victim and coworkers were attaching dampeners to the tower guy wires when the incident occurred. The tower being constructed was a 1,040-foot, high-definition digital television tower. When the incident occurred, the victim was at the 1,000-foot level and was wearing a positioning safety belt with a T-bar attached to the D-rings on his belt. Attached to one end of the T-bar was an adjustable-length lanyard with a large hook as its terminal device. Attached to the other end of the lanyard was a large hook. The victim placed the large hook over the guy wire but did not attach the adjustable lanyard to the tower before sliding out on the guy wire. Although he had one foot draped over the wire, he could not keep himself from sliding. The victim slid rapidly down the wire, striking the anchor point of the guy wire. He was pronounced dead at the scene [Missouri FACE 1998].

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wonder how far you could see from the towers on top of Mt. Cavanal here in Poteau. It's already 2000ft high, plus another 1000-1500ft of tower on top of that.

Feet Dry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the view is beautiful. Been to about 1000' on a tower so I could do that no prob. I like heights. I stood on a rock ledge at the Grand Canyon that was about an 800' drop and the updraft breeze was awesome.

The point of the videos is just to show the climb. He obviously doesn't need the tool bag or a climb partner just to stand on top and enjoy the view. He is at the highest point when the video ends. Unless they were there to change the light bulb. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom