Toyota pickups are now the best trucks made.....but

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a new one about a month ago. I did have to take the Texas flag sticker off the back glass because....well..it’s Texas.
1DFF319A-FC2B-4801-B0FD-B240F538E1E1.jpeg

Reaction score
I bought a new one about a month ago. I did have to take the Texas flag sticker off the back glass because....well..it’s Texas.
View attachment 137000
That looks like a 5 1/2' box. I never could see the utility benefit of "bobtail" pickups. Honda Ridgeline has even a dinkier box at only 5 feet. An overpriced city-show vehicle if you ask me. Might as well get an SUV. A Toyota 4Runner.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That looks like a 5 1/2' box. I never could see the utility benefit of "bobtail" pickups. Honda Ridgeline has even a dinkier box at only 5 feet. An overpriced city-show vehicle if you ask me. Might as well get an SUV. A Toyota 4Runner.

I've never seen a reason for a 6' box when the 5.5 will do everything the 6 will, and still fit in the garage.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
8 ft boxes have gone the way of the dodo and dinosaur. I had an 8ft bed on 4 door Ford 2011 work truck. That thing was a major pain to turn or park. It took a Wal-Mart Winco parking lot to turn that sucker around. I am plenty happy with my latest work truck with a 6.5ft bed. If your going to have an 8ft bed might as well have a flatbed.

Reaction score
I've never seen a reason for a 6' box when the 5.5 will do everything the 6 will, and still fit in the garage.
But will a 5.5 do everything a 6.5 (kept clean under a good car cover if it doesn't fit int he garage) will do?

Back in 2000, I had a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD with 6.5 box and extended 3-door cab and it barely fit in my Boise, ID garage built in 1975. The 2019 SR5 2WD double cab with 6.5 might not fit in that same garage because of the longer cab. I see no reason for a 4x4 in the Plains States. More expensive to buy, more expensive to upkeep, lousier on gas, harsher highway ride. I knew a TX guy in the army who was dead set against having a 4x4 in Texas. Mountain states like Idaho and bad winter states, a whole different ball of wax. Thankfully, all Toyota trucks have standard limited-slip rear end. Something my '95 Ford F-150 and '99 Silverado 2WD didn't have with a $30K+ MSRP price tag even back then and wished it did more than once in wintering Idaho. I had to stack sandbags in back under the camper shell during the winter. The Big Three have always been chintzy on equipment. I had an '86 Chevy Custom Deluxe without even a dome light or radio in the cab. My dad's '73 Datsun 1600 pickup had standard cab dome light.

I do admit the new Toyotas are overdone with all that TSS crap, however. People need to learn how to control a vehicle the old-fashioned way and not vice-versa. I still miss old-fashioned manual transmissions and clutch pedals for positive control or at least a simple auto trans. 3 plus OD. I wish Toyota would offer a DELETE option for TSS radar.

Last edited:

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is the 5.5 box and thankfully fits in the garage. It’ll haul just about everything I haul with my old 6’ bed.
And I couldn’t own one that’s not 4wd. Too many bad roads, pastures and hunting trails around my parts.

One thing I don’t understand is why they make the off road package in 2wd.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But will a 5.5 do everything a 6.5 (kept clean under a good car cover if it doesn't fit int he garage) will do?

Back in 2000, I had a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD with 6.5 box and extended 3-door cab and it barely fit in my Boise, ID garage built in 1975. The 2019 SR5 2WD double cab with 6.5 might not fit in that same garage because of the longer cab. I see no reason for a 4x4 in the Plains States. More expensive to buy, more expensive to upkeep, lousier on gas, harsher highway ride. I knew a TX guy in the army who was dead set against having a 4x4 in Texas. Mountain states like Idaho and bad winter states, a whole different ball of wax. Thankfully, all Toyota trucks have standard limited-slip rear end. Something my '95 Ford F-150 and '99 Silverado 2WD didn't have with a $30K+ MSRP price tag even back then and wished it did more than once in wintering Idaho. I had to stack sandbags in back under the camper shell during the winter. The Big Three have always been chintzy on equipment. I had an '86 Chevy Custom Deluxe without even a dome light or radio in the cab. My dad's '73 Datsun 1600 pickup had standard cab dome light.

I do admit the new Toyotas are overdone with all that TSS crap, however. People need to learn how to control a vehicle the old-fashioned way and not vice-versa. I still miss old-fashioned manual transmissions and clutch pedals for positive control or at least a simple auto trans. 3 plus OD. I wish Toyota would offer a DELETE option for TSS radar.

Sounds like you need a '71 long bed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom