Trainer Recommendations Near Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson-IN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure. Here's the pdf for the SDA booklet they will cover in class. There is ALWAYS some goober who monopolizes class time with "high speed, low drag" scenarios so he can stroke his own ego, so it will certainly help her to study the material beforehand.

OKLAHOMA SELF-DEFENSE ACT
www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_LAW_BOOK.pdf

Here's the link to the online application:

https://pay.apps.ok.gov/osbi/sda/app/index.php

It should be pretty self-explanatory. The class is 8 hours long -- half of it classroom instruction, that will cover the information in the booklet. The other half is the shooting portion -- it will involve shooting 50 rounds, 10 rounds at a time. She will need to demonstrate safe gun-handling and will need to be familiar with how to her gun functions and the basics of markmanship.

You would be shocked at how many times I had to deal with people attempting to load the bullets BACKWARDS in the magazine, the magazine BACKWARDS in the gun, and had no clue how to grip their gun, find their sights or were shocked when they experienced the recoil from their gun. Please don't let the first time she fires her gun be at that SDA class. She will be stressed out as it is. Not knowing how her gun works or how to find the sight and fire at a target will just make it all so much worse.

The shooting portion of the class is NOT to see how good a marksman she is. It is so she can demonstrate to the instructors that she is familiar with the SAFE handling of a firearm. Nothing more, nothing less. It is basically impossible to flunk this portion of the test. All she needs to do is follow the instructors directions and to keep her gun pointed down range at all times.

I've trained with a couple several guys here in the City, and at USSA in Tulsa. My husband has trained with instructors here in OKC, Mike Seeklander, Bobby out in Grandfield and at USSA. I believe he has been at firearms training with Marshall Luton (TDSA) but I'm not sure if it was a class open to the public, or if it was in association with his CLEET stuff when he was with OHP.

I can tell you neither of us were particularly happy with the training we paid for here in OKC, except for a couple of guys who are now retired from training. I'm not naming names because the firearms community is extremely small and every instructor has his share of retreads who rabidly defend their favorite instructor's training tactics and I'm not interested in dealing with the BS.

Thanks so much, Annie. You've been very helpful. She has fired the gun before and can operate it generally. I don't think basic loading, unloading, and use will be a problem for her. I have not seen her shoot. So I haven't had an opportunity to assess her gun handling proficiency. She has never carried, worked from a holster, or taken formal training.

TDSA appears to offer two courses that may fit. One is a ladies only class that is mostly classroom and doesn't require your own equipment. The other is a 2-day, 1k rnd course where you need all your own gear, etc.

I was hoping for something in between. I don't think she has an adequate holster or equipment for the two day class. I will find out more about what they have (or have her find out) or maybe just recommend to her the more basic class as a good starting point.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has taken the ladies' class at TDSA. This was a great class for her, and Travis and crew did an outstanding job. I personally would not recommend anything beyond that at TDSA (e.g. 2-day 1k round class) for a new lady shooter, but I'm sure there are others that will say it is no big deal.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Annie. You've been very helpful. She has fired the gun before and can operate it generally. I don't think basic loading, unloading, and use will be a problem for her. I have not seen her shoot. So I haven't had an opportunity to assess her gun handling proficiency. She has never carried, worked from a holster, or taken formal training.

TDSA appears to offer two courses that may fit. One is a ladies only class that is mostly classroom and doesn't require your own equipment. The other is a 2-day, 1k rnd course where you need all your own gear, etc.

I was hoping for something in between. I don't think she has an adequate holster or equipment for the two day class. I will find out more about what they have (or have her find out) or maybe just recommend to her the more basic class as a good starting point.

She won't draw from a holster in the SDA class. At least most instructors don't require that. If she takes the class at an outdoor range where there are no table rests on the range it might be different just for convenience sake.

And if I'm not mistaken I think the first class you mentioned (the one where she doesn't have to have her own weapon) she CAN use her own gun if she wants, and is an excellent class to get comfortable with firearms. I agree with KOPBET that it actually is the class she needs to take.

She does need to go to a range a few times and shoot her gun so she's not uncomfortable with the recoil at class. She can also practice loading bullets in her magazines, and loading and unloading her gun (NOT at the same time!!) at home.

Basically anything she can do before class so she can focus on her instructors commands at class and not have the added stress of fooling with a gun she is not familiar with will help her immensely.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your input. Would you be able to tell me more about the SDA class content and the format of the qualification?

It looks like almost everyone is recommending TDSA. That's a good sign. Out of curiosity, have those of you who recommend TDSA trained many other places to have a wide basis for comparison? Not that I don't value the opinions. I'm very grateful. It just gives them some context.

Thank you again for all the help
Yep
Trained w a lot of names, civilian and LE

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife took the TDSA course with Marshall when she was new to firearms and highly recommends it.
I haven't trained with ATAP but I know Chris and would not hesitate to recommend him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom