Transfer question between relatives in different states

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.​

No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

1. a.shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence; and

2. b.shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

1. a.shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence; and

You don’t have to be dead to bequeath a firearm to a relative.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You don’t have to be dead to bequeath a firearm to a relative.
Legally, to bequeath something to someone means to leave it to them in a will.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/bequeath

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legally, to bequeath something to someone means to leave it to them in a will.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/bequeath

Then you feel free to involve the federal government in gifting firearms to your offspring. I will not, regardless of where they reside.

I’ve talked to my FFL, he’s been doing it 49 years. If the guy goes and gets them it does not need to go thru an FFL. Your opinion may differ. I’m good with that. You do you.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the father can bequeath the guns to his heir in a will, and while father is still alive, the heir can take possession of said guns. Easy peasy.

There is 1000 ways around going thru an FFL. I can think of about 25 off the top of my head, as long as it is hand to hand transfer, all of which are legal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom