Traveling (Flying) Out of Town

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely make sure it is a "TSA-approved" lock. All the big name lock companies make them. You should be able to find them at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. If the lockis not TSA-compliant, they could call you out of the secure area to unlock it or, more likely, use a bolt cutter on them.

Actually, that's incorrect. FAA regs require it to be a lock to which only you have the key. That doesn't include all of TSA. They're required to call you back so you can unlock the gun case if they need to see inside it. You should wait near the ticket counter for about 5-10 minutes at TUL. If they haven't called your name by then, you should be good to head to your boarding gate.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first agent was correct, it goes inside the box. Too bad you got hassled over ignorance. The declaration form doesn't state that you have a gun, it basically states it is unloaded and it and any ammo is properly packaged and the weapon is secured in a locked hard-sided container.

Dude, quit telling people this!!!! It does not go inside the gun case!! Have you ever flown with a gun?!? It goes outside the locked case so they airlines can verify that you have filled out the form without opening the gun case!! They have no reason to open the gun case without you, as a matter of fact it is against the regulations for them to open the locked box. Do not use a TSA lock on your case. They can open your suitcase, but not your gun case.

You said this on the other thread too, and it was wrong then, and it is wrong now. Believe it or not one of the people that answered this correctly works as a Supervisor for the TSA, he knows what he is talking about even if you don't believe me. I fly around 3 times a month with a firearm.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on carrying a copy of the regulations... sometimes you have to educate the TSA & counter people.

I miss the good old days way back when I was a armed PI with my own agency license.. I could just show my state issued picture ID and walked on the plane.. handed my holstered unloaded weapon to the Captain or his #2... [along with a small bag containing my magazines] which they kept in the cockpit...and upon exiting, they simply handed them back as I passed by the cockpit door. As Archie & Edith Bunker would sing, "Those Were The Days!" To bad Concealed Carry today can't be that easy.

By the way, I don't know if any of you are armed PI's or LEO's.. but not too many yrs ago... you could still call the airport security office.. tell them you were a licensed PI or LEO and would be checking a gun... they would let you park in their reserved parking area for airport security for free [if there was enough room] and enter the terminal through a side door and go straight to your baggage counter. I haven't flown in a while so I don't know how the OKC airport security will accomodate armed Police or PI's today. But it might be worth a call. It sure was nice being able to leave my vehicle in their secured parking area for a week or more-- for free.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude, quit telling people this!!!! It does not go inside the gun case!! Have you ever flown with a gun?!? It goes outside the locked case so they airlines can verify that you have filled out the form without opening the gun case!! They have no reason to open the gun case without you, as a matter of fact it is against the regulations for them to open the locked box. Do not use a TSA lock on your case. They can open your suitcase, but not your gun case.

Whatever.

Ok, so I fly with a large plastic/metal box that has guns inside that stands alone. No external suitcase or bag. So then the agent is going to do what? Attach the tag to the outside of the box? No. It will go on the inside because it cannot go on the outside.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/company/tariff/domestic/tariff_domestic_section5.asp
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/specialitems.html
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=258

Just because a smaller gun box may go inside a suitcase does not change anything. If the TSA wants to open the case they can contact the passenger and have them open it. Just like they did you.

Last edited:

billet93

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever.

Ok, so I fly with a large plastic/metal box that has guns inside that stands alone. No external suitcase or bag. So then the agent is going to do what? Attach the tag to the outside of the box? No. It will go on the inside because it cannot go on the outside.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/company/tariff/domestic/tariff_domestic_section5.asp
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/specialitems.html
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=258

Just because a smaller gun box may go inside a suitcase does not change anything. If the TSA wants to open the case they can contact the passenger and have them open it. Just like they did you.

I believe the point he was making was valid, MOST people are going to be carrying a small locked box inside their suitcase with their CCW inside, in which case you DO NOT want to let them put the card inside or your life will suck, I know, mine has....

Granted in your case, with a stand alone case holding weapons, the card would most obviously not go on the outside, but 90% of the time people are going to have their CCW inside their suitcase in a locked case...IMO YMMV

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the point he was making was valid, MOST people are going to be carrying a small locked box inside their suitcase with their CCW inside, in which case you DO NOT want to let them put the card inside or your life will suck, I know, mine has....

If you want to make that choice, then it is your choice. There should be no indication outside the locked box that there is a firearm inside. Being inside a suitcase changes nothing.

billet93

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to make that choice, then it is your choice. There should be no indication outside the locked box that there is a firearm inside. Being inside a suitcase changes nothing.

almost correct, putting your card inside the locked box INSIDE a suitcase changes one small fact... you get detained by TSA and miss your flight and go back through security a second time and have to get a new flight (nothing major really) versus just getting on the plane and picking up your suitcase at your destination on your original schedule... I have only done this about 40 times so I guess I could be wrong...

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
almost correct, putting your card inside the locked box INSIDE a suitcase changes one small fact... you get detained by TSA and miss your flight and go back through security a second time and have to get a new flight (nothing major really) versus just getting on the plane and picking up your suitcase at your destination on your original schedule... I have only done this about 40 times so I guess I could be wrong...

There is no difference with a locked case outside a suitcase.

Nice to know the posted airlines' websites are wrong as well.

1.Firearms must be unloaded and packed in (1) a manufacturer's crush-proof type container, manufactured specifically for the firearm or (2) a hard case. Handguns checked as baggage must be contained in a hard-sided, lockable case, or in a hard-sided container inside a soft-sided case. Firearm containers must lock with a key or lock combination that remains in possession of the customer and must be locked by the passenger in the presence of AS. No exceptions. Baggage containing firearms will be transported in an area, other than the cockpit, that is inaccessible to the passenger.

2.Baggage containing firearms will not knowingly be accepted for transportation at point of origin or at an online or interline connecting point unless a declaration, signed and dated on the day the baggage is accepted for transportation, is placed inside the case containing the firearms, declaring that the firearms are not loaded.

Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have flown out of Tulsa several times with a handgun in my luggage, the declaration was ALWAYS placed INSIDE the locked gun case. I have NEVER been called back to security and my handgun has always made the trip undisturbed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom